Philly NEWP (1813 $5 MS64)

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Traz, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Traz

Traz Card counter

Picked this up last week. What do you think? Heritage description below...

1813 $5 MS64 PCGS. CAC. BD-1, R.2.
    Bass-Dannreuther Die State b/b. The Capped Bust Left design was modified in 1813, with the bust and eagle restyled and the stars arranged in a continuous arc above the portrait, instead of the 7x6 arrangement of the previous design. A substantial mintage of 95,428 pieces was achieved, with only two die varieties known for the date.
    This coin represents the more available BD-1 variety, identified by the position of the first S in STATES over the right side of E in PLURIBUS. The BD-1 is the only readily available date and variety of this design type, making it a favorite choice of type collectors. The BD-1 probably accounted for 60,000-75,000 pieces of the reported mintage, with a surviving population of 450-650 examples in all grades. John Reich's secret signature star punch, with the notched outside point, was used on star 13. The obverse die was also used to strike the BD-2 variety of this date, but the BD-1 is the only use of the reverse die.

The coin offered here is a spectacular near-Gem example, with pleasing yellow-gold surfaces and strong rose highlights at the peripheries. The design elements are sharply detailed, and vibrant mint luster beams on both sides. A few light adjustment marks appear on Liberty's cheek on close inspection, but they have little impact on the coin's extraordinary visual appeal. Population: 48 in 64, 3 finer (6/12)

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ArthurK11

ArthurK11 Active Member

That is one beautiful coin, nice pick up. I love early gold.

4. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

A fantastic specimen and a great educational piece. People could learn about adjustment marks and the virtues of CAC verification from this coin.

5. jhinton

jhinton Well-Known Member

6. mill rat41

mill rat41 Member

Very, very nice. Congratulations.

7. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

That's a tough, freakin' coin.

8. largecent37

largecent37 Coin Collector

That is so awesome! $5 would buy you a lot in 1813.

9. Traz

Traz Card counter

Thanks much everyone. Hope you enjoy!

10. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

Excellent, It's all about the Gold!

11. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

I think that coin is in-freaking-credible!

12. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

So incredible that it seems to have left the rest of the forum speechless. A guy posts a $40K coin and gets 10 responses. Traz is like the Boiler78 of Cointalk dontcha think?

13. mumu

mumu Junior Member

That is a nice piece of gold.

14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I'm glad you guys bumped this thread, 'cause I must o' been out o' town at it's inception.

Freakin', freakin' beautiful. Wow!

15. Traz

Traz Card counter

Thanks. It really is a beauty. Shame things like this have to be locked away in the bank, it's spectacular to look at!!

16. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

What blows my mind is how this little treasure is worth more than some Porche's. Goodness gracious buddy!

17. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Why is that?

I don't understand the speechless reaction, personally, but your observation is dead-on, Paul.

18. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

By the time I saw the coin there was really no reason to post another "wow - spectacular". So I did the simple little likes button. I mean what else can someone saw besides "wow - beautiful". :)

19. Siggi Palma

Siggi Palma Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted