Phillip I Provincial

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Nathan401, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

This coin brought a little cheer during this tense time. I tried to improve on the auction pic, but I had terrible results. I liked the left facing portrait of Phil, but the Pegasus on the reverse is what made me put in the bid. I imagine that being the usurper, having Tyche on the reverse was a way of saying, “ nothing to see here, just more peace and prosperity..”
    8F2999A8-54C9-4C9D-B63C-255BF788828E.jpeg Phillip I AD244-249 AE Octassarion 29mm, 16.90g
    Syria, Commagene. Samosata
    Laureate, draped, cuirassed bust left.
    Tyche seated left on rocks, holding grain ears, hand resting on rock; Pegasus flying left below. Butcher 33a; BMC 59
    Vauction/Triskeles 31 lot 113

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Very nice coin, @Nathan401 ! I do like that Pegasus on the reverse!

The most relevant thing in my collection is this one of Philip II from nearby Zeugma:

[​IMG]
    Philip II, AD 244-249 (or 247-249).
    Roman provincial Æ 28.0 mm, 14.93 g, 12 h.
    Syria: Commagene, Zeugma.
    Obv: AVTOK K M IOVΛI ΦIΛIΠΠOC CЄB, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust, right.
    Rev: ZЄYΓMATЄΩN, tetrastyle temple, before which is a grove; colonnade on right and left; portico in front. Capricorn right in exergue.
    Refs: Sear 4142; BMC 40; Butcher 31c; SNC 60-62.

4. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Great pick up Nathan, especially nice eye appeal with great detail.

Nathan401 likes this.
  5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

ah very nice..:)

Nathan401 likes this.
  6. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Thanks, all! I was thrilled to get it at what I believe to be a great price. It’s definitely seen a good amount of commerce, which appeals to me even more.
    I hope everyone is staying safe, and keeping occupied. Of course we are all lucky to be able to delve into coins and history. G-d bless everyone!

Draft saved Draft deleted