Philippus (Aequitas) antoninianus - large differences

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Gabor Papp, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Gabor Papp

Gabor Papp Active Member

Hello,
    I am new in the world of roman coins, that's why I would like to receive some help.
    Recently, I have bought two Philippus - Aequitas antoninianus, however there are large differences between the two portrait and styles.
    Could someone judge for me whether both of the coins are original or not? Are there any suspicious signs?
    Thanks in advance!
    Gábor

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

ominus1, Justin Lee and Gabor Papp like this.
  4. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

i concur with @TIF. that's the magic of hand stuck coins and made dies, most often there aren't any two exactly alike. fine coins and welcome to CT ancients:)

Gabor Papp likes this.
  5. Gabor Papp

Gabor Papp Active Member

Thank both of you! I am very happy to be here :) I hope, I will have further roman coins soon.
    Anyway, the total price for them vere 95 USD. Was this a correct price, what do you mean?

6. Johnnie Black

Johnnie Black Neither Gentleman Nor Scholar

I know that sometimes when a new emperor came into power coins were struck in his name and with a likeness even before they knew what he looked like. Often the likeness was still the previous guy. That can contribute to some variations as well.

Gabor Papp likes this.
  7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Looking at recent sales, that seems to be a fair price. I don't think you overpaid :).

Gabor Papp likes this.
  8. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Gabor Papp, The antoninianus on the left has a much better portrait than the coin on the right. The celators varied in skill, some were better than others. Before shelling out money for a Roman portrait coin get a good idea of what it should look like & you won't be disappointed. Both of your coins are high grade & were fairly priced. Both reverse dies were well-worn before the coins were struck. Finding coins with both obverse & reverse dies sharp can take considerable searching.

Gabor Papp likes this.
  9. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Very nice coins @Gabor Papp - here's one of mine: VICTORIA AVGG type, meaning it was struck after the time when Phillip II was promoted from Caesar to co-ruler.

phillip1.jpg

phillip2.jpg

Johndakerftw and Gabor Papp like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted