Philippines Coins at Stack's ANA Auction - Did they go Wild?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by 7Jags, Aug 17, 2019.

1. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

As I was waiting for my West African States coin to come up, I was watching the Stacks auction on-line and noticed that there were coins in the Philippines series that were going for 30 and 40,000 dollars! These were not the benchmark rarities, but rather better graded other coins. Even the minors were going for up into the multi-thousands.

What is going on with that series? I mean those struck for the P.I. under USA rule...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

My guess would be for the registry sets rankings. Wealthy people bid crazy amounts for the best of the best coins for the registry sets rankings.

4. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

News to me. I've got a bunch of them. Just received a 1908 Peso I purchased the other day.
    Is it just high grade coins?

I probably have one of every silver Philippines coin ever minted, except for under Spanish rule, and I'm working on getting those and yes, those can be expensive, but you're talking about more modern coins right, say after 1907 or so?

5. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Yea, check to see if they have archives of the auction. I mean I don't know the series and saw crazy prices...

6. Hookman

I went to Stack's and tried to look them up, but I didn't find any Philippines coins and I got tired of looking.
    There were some amazingly high prices on some coins and some amazingly low prices on some others, but a high bid of only $1.00 on a Morgan before the auction closes is probably no big deal.

7. jhinton

jhinton Well-Known Member

It's a very underrated series with a lot of tough coins. Also helped that the largest us Philippines coin club had a meeting there.
    Also a new price guide is in the works with an expectation of huge price increases compared to the outdated price guides available.

8. Hookman

Good. Perhaps that means my collection of silver Philippines coins has grown in value.

9. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

If they are in top grade, I would guess so. If not, maybe not.

10. Hookman

Average grade, average value.

Draft saved Draft deleted