Philippines 1828 Manila Counterstamp

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by CLC2010, Dec 8, 2016.

1. CLC2010

CLC2010 Member

Manila_obv.jpg Manila_rev.jpg Took years to find one I liked, but the search is over. This one is now my top Philippines' counterstamped coins. Just wish the date was stronger! Tough coin to find. If you like counterstamps, the Philippines coins are a great option.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CLC2010

CLC2010 Member

Is anyone else collecting these Philippine counterstamped coins? Would love to see your similar coins

4. britannia40

britannia40 Well-Known Member

Very cool i have seen a few but dont have any. What price range do there run

5. sam_raph

sam_raph Active Member

The price book guide puts that coin over $1700

6. CLC2010

CLC2010 Member

This one runs $1300-$1700 in this condition. It's a rare coin as most were destroyed since the counterstamp was not very effective on the host coins. After a few years attempting the Manila counterstamp they switched to a punch.

7. doppeltaler

doppeltaler Well-Known Member

Id love to have own one of these, congrats !

8. Flamdrag99

Flamdrag99 New Member

What other Philippines countermarks do you have in your collection? I am conducting research on this series and will be giving a lecture on this subject at the New York International Numismatic Convention (NYINC) on January 14, 2017 at the Waldorf-Astoria. I have a couple of pieces from the series in my collection as well and would be more than happy to share them with you if you are interested. Do you collect other countermarks as well?

9. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

That is a huge counterstamp. Seems to have nearly obliterated the entire obverse!

I'm not familiar with these at all. Can you post more, or describe them?

10. CLC2010

CLC2010 Member

I have the F7 counterstamp (punch) on 8 reales from Peru and Bolivia and the YII on 8 reales from Columbia.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    Flamdrag99 likes this.
  11. CLC2010

CLC2010 Member

The Manila counterstamp was supposed to obliterate the host coin, but they couldn't get enough pressure to make this happen. After a few years of trying the Manila one, they went to a counterstamp punch type like F7 or YII.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    Flamdrag99 likes this.
  12. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

I have this one. A Chile Peso dated 1834 bearing the crowned Y.II counterstamp for queen Isabel II of Spain. It was counterstamped in Manila for circulation in the Philippines.
    The interesting thing about the host coin is that while the counterstamped coin is only moderately scarce, the host coin without the counterstamp is extremely rare. I have only ever seen one Chile Peso 1834 without a counterstamp.

Chile Peso 1834 with Philippines C-S-Obv - 1_opt.jpg Chile Peso 1834 with Philippines C-S-Rev - 1_opt.jpg

Flamdrag99 likes this.
  13. CLC2010

CLC2010 Member

That's a great coin! Have always liked the Chile volcano coins. They are much scarcer without the counterstamp. Thanks for posting it.

Draft saved Draft deleted