Philip I from Heliopolis

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by cmezner, Feb 28, 2023.

1. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Yesterday, I went downtown and made a stop at HJB where I got this AE 27 (and a few more) :cool:. Curtis was so kind and patient, not to mention that I didn't have an appointment. Thank you so much Curtis for all you do.

Heliopolis (Baalbek), Coele-Syria, Roman province Phoenice, 244/245 AD
    27 mm, 14.17 g
    RPC-6484 (temporary); SNG Copenhagen 434; BMC 21, Greek (Galatia) Catalogue of the Greek Coins of Galatia, Cappadoccia and Syria p. 293;

Ob.: IMP CAES M IVL PHILIPPVS PIVS FEL AVG (Imperator Caesar Marcus Iulius Philippus Pius Felix Augustus), Laureate bust of Philip I to r., wearing paludamentum and cuirass
    Rv.: COL IVL AVG FEL / HEL Tyche of Heliopolis (Fortuna), wearing chiton, peplos and turreted head-dress, standing facing; rudder in r. hand, cornucopia in l. hand; on each side of her stands a naked male figure (athlete?) holding up a circular object (wreath?), all within billowing canopy held over her head by two female figures (Victories?) standing on pedestals

Picture courtesy HJB :)

upload_2023-2-28_15-57-19.png

Please share your coins from Heliopolis or anything relevant

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Great portrait!

cmezner likes this.
  4. Mammothtooth

Mammothtooth Stand up Philosopher, Vodka Taster

Very nice Bing, love the portrait

5. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

I don't even make reservations at restaurants as a matter of pure principle. If I were ever expected to make an appointment to visit a coin shop, then I suppose I wouldn't be visiting any more coins shops! :yack:

I don't have any provincials of Philip, or any that were minted in Heliopolis, but I do have provincials of his wife and son, both minted in Antioch, Syria.

upload_2023-2-28_19-11-16.png

Last edited: Mar 1, 2023
    Jwt708, Marsyas Mike, Edessa and 7 others like this.
  6. cmezner

Very nice ones @Cherd. I don't have any coin of his son, Philip II, - it's on my wish list, a list that keeps growing :D

Cherd likes this.
  7. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

Ya, lists seem to do that. For Romans, I initially whittled a list down so that the entire collection would fit into a 100 slot case. Then a bit later, I broke down and got another 50 slot case because I was picking up randoms that weren't on the list. ........ Recently I've been thinking that I'm gonna need even more slots than that! :confused:

cmezner likes this.
  8. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

LOL, I have never done it either. When I want to go picking, I am not making a call.

Cherd likes this.
  9. cmezner

Actually, their store where you can walk in is on street level; if you want to go to Ancients, you need go out of the store and take the elevator at the entrance of the building, which is next to the store, to the 13th floor. When you open the door, there are beautiful ancient artifacts just looking at you. Their offices are there and usually I say "hello, anybody here?" until someone comes out of an office. The Ancients section is not a store where you can walk in...

expat, Cherd and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  10. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Agree with the others a real discerning look on Philip's face absolutely great coin, wow that expression we would be struggling nowdays to capture that look on our camera's. One of my favorite hunting grounds for architecture is Heliopolis. 2015-01-07 01.08.10-2 (550x275).jpg 2465.jpg

11. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Ancient Aussie and cmezner like this.
  12. cmezner

totally agree with @Bing, those both reverses are amazing.

Ancient Aussie likes this.
  13. cmezner

Very happy I got a Philip II - it was on my wish list:

BI Tetradrachm, Philip II as Augustus
    Seleucia in Pieria, Antiochia ad Orontem (Antakya, South-East Turkey), 248 – 249 AD
    10.80 g

Attribution by HJB: McAlee-1060 (V. Rare, same dies as ill. spec. 1061); Prieur-452 (5 spec., same obverse. die as ill.);

I also found: RPC unassigned, ID 29195 at https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/type/29195

Ob.: ΑΥΤΟΚ Κ Μ ΙΟΥΛΙ ΦΙΛΙΠΠΟC CEB (Imperator Caesar Marcus Iulius Philippus Augustus) Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust of Philip II to right, fold of cloak on front shoulder.
    Rev.: ΔΗΜΑΡΧ ΕΞΟΥCΙΑC ΥΠΑ ΤΟ Δ (holder of Tribunitian power, consul for the 4th time) ANTIOXIA / S C in exergue, Eagle standing head to l. holding wreath in beak.

Picture courtesy HJB:

upload_2023-3-18_22-1-49.png

14. Dwarf

Dwarf Active Member

Unfortunately this one is forgery, as many Heliopolis coins of this type on the market nowadays
    ttps://tinyurl.com/2p8s6vbv

Regards
    Klaus

15. cmezner

the link you provided is not working and the coin is not listed at Dr. Ilya Prokopov's Fake Ancient Coin Reports

16. Dwarf

Dwarf Active Member

17. cmezner

18. Dwarf

Dwarf Active Member

Just to clarify:
    I refer to the first coin of Ancient Aussie - none of yours !

cmezner likes this.
  19. cmezner

Thank you so much for clarifying it.

20. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
  21. Dwarf

Dwarf Active Member

Greetings to Down Under
    I know these Heliopolis forgeries now for about 30+ years. Yours is a rather bad one with this obverse, which really has nothing in common with any Roman emperor. If you need a second opinion, just contact FAC or the German forum. There are some forgery-experts around there (no problem using English) https://www.numismatikforum.de/

Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
Draft saved Draft deleted