Philadelphia mint, minted Silver Eagles in support of West Points closure.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lawtoad, May 1, 2020.

1. Lawtoad

Lawtoad Well-Known Member

Cheech9712 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Therefore guaranteeing that big buyers can make money off of those that will insist on having them in slabs from the TPG's.

4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Nothing new been happening for years

Inspector43 likes this.
  5. Inspector43

They did that back in 2011 with the 5 piece set. Claimed the only way to tell S mint from W mint was to get the monster box with the info from the mint. Send it directly to a TPG and let them certify. Get the certified coins and sell them to the suckers out there.

If you knew the coins and looked close you could tell which mint they came from. But, without a slab nobody would believe you.

The US Mint and big business working for your hobby.

GeorgeM, Terrifrompa and capthank like this.
  6. baseball21

There's actually several years of P mint bullion ASEs that had to be identified from the boxes. At first the mint tried to deny it, but at least now they're being honest about it it seems

GeorgeM and Inspector43 like this.
  7. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I’m sure the TV peddlers will make a big deal out of this, as they’ve done before.

Terrifrompa and Inspector43 like this.
  8. Inspector43

I decided last year to drop out of ASE collecting. This special stamp is just another gimmick the mint uses to get more stuff out there. I have always liked the ASE. It is a beautiful coin. But, the US Mint is making so many variations. You need a spreadsheet to keep up. Then at the end of the year you still wonder if you missed any.

Terrifrompa and capthank like this.
  9. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

I just want one BU example from each year. Much simpler that way :)

LA_Geezer and Inspector43 like this.
  10. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

The ASEs are so unnecessarily complicated: “We make proofs here, bullion there, and that’s that. Unless we make proofs there and bullion here. But we could also make proofs over there instead of there, but also here. But we could also make bullion that’s even more uncirculated—let’s call it burnished—and make it here and not there or over there. Ok let’s stop making that. Ok let’s make it again. STOP THE PRESSES—IT’S REVERSE PROOF TIME! Let’s make it here and over there but never there. And when we make it, let’s barely make it at all.”

11. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

That’s a hilarious description and incredibly accurate. That’s why I do it my way. In the end... it’s still “only” bullion.

12. Inspector43

If the mint considers them to be generic why do they take great pains in the identification of the monster boxes? Because generic ASE's would have zero interest.

Terrifrompa likes this.
  13. baseball21

Because you have to have an inventory system and know what you're doing where and the only way to track boxes is to number or mark them in some manner

Cheech9712 likes this.
  14. Santinidollar

They could mint them in my garage and it would make no real difference.

Inspector43 likes this.
  15. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Don't forget that when "burnished" isn't special enough, there's always "enhanced uncirculated." That's just the tip of the iceberg, though. For the 2019-S proof, there were 39 different labels you could get at PCGS for it, which seems pretty ridiculous in itself until you look at the 82 different labels for 2018-S and think that 39 is showing restraint.

16. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

This is exactly what Mezak is doing! You would have to be one heck of an expert, though, to be able to "look close" and you could tell which mint they came from.

Inspector43 likes this.
  17. erscolo

erscolo Well-Known Member

Small wonder I have never "collected" these bullion coins. It does make for cheap entertainment, however.

St Gaudens collector likes this.
  18. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

The Mint did that for years...still just bullion and that's all. My set is OGP in an Eagle album...easy to view and store in vault. A few of the most rare are in slabs, (3-total)

Cheech9712 and Santinidollar like this.
  19. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

rotflmao

Cheech9712 likes this.
  20. Santinidollar

And none of those special labels were worth the powder it would take to blow them to hell.

21. baseball21

That's not exactly true, some are more popular than others and some do get some premium

LA_Geezer likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted