PF70 with a nick?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Aquahollic, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Aquahollic

Aquahollic ֍ E Pluribus Unum ֎

I just bought this ASE PF70 for one of my children's birthyear. I found a nick on the obverse side by the letter "E" in Liberty. Holding it in hand at certain angles I can clearly see it by my eyes let alone with a loupe.

Obviously the nick was there at the time of grading so would this be considered a 70 even with the nick?

Thanks for any help...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I can't really tell from the picture, but it might actually be a tiny strike through.

Insider and paddyman98 like this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It looks like a strikethrough to me, too. It's my understanding that a strikethrough shouldn't affect the grade.

Chris

Insider likes this.
  5. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Nice pix.

I suppose I can go along with the strikethrough theory, but I can also see why you'd question the 70-grade on what does appear to be a small peckmark type hit.

Who knows? Not me.

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Send it back and have it evaluated...not!
    I say yes to Struck Through. It could have been attributed as an error but since they usually slab these type of coins in huge numbers (bulk) it maybe slipped by the TPG. You can see it's numbered 095.
    They are not perfect.. Have you ever seen when they error a label?

7. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Is it base graded, or bulk graded ?

onecenter and paddyman98 like this.
  8. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Here's the example I posted in another thread a couple days ago:

2016b.jpg

2016afull.jpg

2016adetail.jpg

"Perfection" is no longer a standard when it comes to 70's from a TPG. Aquaholic, I'm reasonably sure your coin is as-struck, maybe a planchet imperfection or a slight strikethrough. In my book, that's not a "70," but I guess it passes PCGS muster.

9. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

MS/PF-70 is just a market gimmick. I pay no attention to them when I can get a just as nice MS/PF-69 for half the price.

Omegaraptor and harrync like this.
  10. Aquahollic

Well I decided to send the coin back since I was within the 30 day return period.

I don't buy MS/PF70s but I wanted two PF70s for my children's birth years.

Thanks for the help everyone!!

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Your coin was probably graded on either a Monday or Friday........ devil.gif

Kentucky likes this.
  12. Aquahollic

I'm a glass is half full guy so I'll go with Friday.

Kentucky, SuperDave and green18 like this.
  13. Rick Stachowski

Bulk graded coins, are nothing more then a gimmick .
    Worse program any grading company ever came up with .

Now a MS, Or PR 70 in a base grade, now you have something ................

14. Aquahollic

Out of curiosity, how many would be considered base vs bulk?

15. Rick Stachowski

The way it works with " Bulk " graded coins, its at least 100 coins and has to be sent in within 30 days of the release date . To where a base grade can be sent in anytime and are graded as " Single coins " and not from a program ...

I own 1 bulk graded coin and the only reason I own it was to match it to the same grade and coin . It's not even close to the base graded one ..

16. Aquahollic

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks!

So correct me if I'm wrong...let's say the same coin up top ('06 ASE PF70) is in an edgview NGC slab and it's numbered 15,would that be considered base?

One more thing. Is there any way to tell on a PCGS slab? From what I've read, the first set of numbers are the coin from their database, next is the grade and last is the serial number of that specific slabbed coin.

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

You would have to look up the other coins in the submission. If you check out the others and several different coin types it is probably base, If you look and find dozens more 2006 ASE's it is probably a bulk submission.

18. Rick Stachowski

If we could see the OP whole slab, then we would know if it's from a bulk submission, which I think it is ....

19. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

How would you know? If they got a custom label you would, but with no custom label and looking at an individual coin how could you tell if it was a bulk submission and not just park of a mixed group without looking up the numbers?

20. Rick Stachowski

The slab will either say First Day Of Issue, First strike, Etc .

21. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

First day of issue and first strike ect have nothing to do with bulk grading. Anyone can get those if they meet the time frame and select it.

Draft saved Draft deleted