PF67 vs Pf69/70 Bewildered...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mkwelbornjr, May 30, 2012.

1. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Don't know that either. Refer to post # 18, plus other posts of mine that state, I have no coins in slabs, and those that were slabbed when I bought them are now residing in 2x2s :thumb:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheCoinGeezer

TheCoinGeezer Senex Bombulum

I rarely can spot the difference between 69 and 70 - so I usually buy 69s - they look good to me and that's all that matters. :D

4. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Don't the girls all get prettier at closing time?

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

One of my Mickey Gilley fab fav's........:)

[video=youtube;gc2ekrgM7Do]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc2ekrgM7Do[/video]

6. mkwelbornjr

mkwelbornjr Junior Member

The coin arrives tomorrow and the pics will follow. When I submitted it the coin was flawless..no doubt a 69. I sent a previous coin of the same type and got a 68. I am wondering if they are biased against certain coins? Its Tristan da Cuhna Una and the Lion Silver Crown. I find it also odd that palladium Noble that I purchased from GovMint in PR69 had die cracks clearly in several areas???? Returned it for a PR70 which I am totally against but this is a gotta have coin for me...it arrived perfect. So a perfect coin gets a PR67 and a die cracks get a PR69.

7. mkwelbornjr

How does one get a Gem Proof grade on coins from NGC? I wouldn't mind that on modern proofs below a PR69.

8. If the gradeing of a coin is only an opinion why do so many waste good money to have a guy put it in a slab that later can be regrade and either get a lower or higher grade.
    Also why bother to buy a coin with a high grade and pay good money for it if we know that on any given day that coin could change and reduce the value of what its worth.
    I say its a waste of time and ill never buy them.
    I myself buy a coin because i like it and it dosent have to be slabed for me to pay a price that may or may not be its true worth.
    Ive seen some here grade coins as well as the top grade companys.

9. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

The short answer, Woody, is liquidity and resale value. I prefer slabs and stickers for most coins for this very reason, and not to sound cocky but I'd put my ability to grade against just about anyone (except, apparently, Larry/ldhair :) ).

Let me give you an example. Let's say I have a gem gold dollar. I shop that dime around, raw, and I'd be lucky to get offered MS 64 money. Shop that same coin around in MS 65 plastic (with a green CAC sticker), and the offers you get are far different. For a coin worth more than a thousand dollars, the small investment in grading/stickering (say, $75) is more than made up for the difference in sale price -- so it's anything but a "waste" of good money.

Now if you're talking about a $10 or $100 coin, the calculus is very different -- but for more expensive coins, it's a very good investment and prudent insurance...particularly if you intend on selling the coins.

Respectfully...Mike

10. mkwelbornjr

I like the way the coin looks in the slab. It preserves it, makes it easy to look at and store. The label helps describe it.

With that said my PR67 coin came back and I can see why its 67...rub marks across the proof field. These were not on it when I sent it in and do not show up in pics. Maybe I am packing them wrong?? I place the coin in a polyethylene sleeve, then a PVC free flip. Maybe they are being scratched when the grading co slides them out?

Draft saved Draft deleted