PF67 vs Pf69/70 Bewildered...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mkwelbornjr, May 30, 2012.

1. mkwelbornjr

mkwelbornjr Junior Member

I had a coin come back with a grade of PF67 and it is visually perfect. Yet another with marks on it came back PF70. Am I missing something?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dsmith23

dsmith23 Gotta get 'em all

Grading is really an opinion, you could send those coins back, and they could both receive different grades.

4. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

It would be hard for you, or anyone else for that matter to distinguish the difference between a 69 or and a 70.

As Dsmith stated, it's really opinion and those grades could be different if resubmitted.

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

It's all about what the guys had for lunch the day they graded your coins. :devil:

6. After a few martinis, everything looks like a 70. TC

7. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

I no doubt have brought home some MS 70's after the bar. Then in the morning, they are actually AG. :|

8. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

Are they from the same series? If not, I have heard people say different series get graded down for different reasons. For example, on some series rim problems can be a big deal, on other coins, not so much.

Are they identical coins? If so, perhaps they crossed the labels? Mechanical error I think it's called.

Also, I would agree that 69/70 cannot be differentiated, but since the OP is saying 67 vs 70, those should be able to be easily distinguished, IMHO. (at least in Kennedy's, the series I know best).

9. If possible, please post some pics of the PF67 and the PF70 and see if we can figure out which one is which. TC

10. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

Maybe they got the two labels mixed up? Where did you send it to?

Pics would be very helpful.

11. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I read someone post on CT here that the difference between a 69 and 70 is often a pinpoint hole in the cameo (with moderns anyway).

12. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I would like to see photos of the 67...I'll bet their is some small flaw we can pick out to rationalize the lower grade. As for the 69/70 issue, often they are so close it is hard to tell...and IMHO, at that point they are equal in my eyes.

13. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

Agreed. That's why I think it's foolish to pay a lot more for 70.

14. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Well, it depends what you are into. The TPGs have very cleverly created a points based game with graded coins thanks to their registry. If you want to have the "best" set...you have to have the highest graded coins because each is worth so many points. That is why some people shell out huge amounts of money for ultra high grade coins. Me personally, I buy coins that I like. It doesn't need to be a "flawless" example for me to like it. However, if I can get a 69 or a 70 for nearly the same price (for example, this is common amongst some modern commemoratives)...then I will get the 70. But, I won't pay much more for it.

15. mkwelbornjr

mkwelbornjr Junior Member

I will post some pics here ASAP.

16. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

In hand, most of us should be able to tell a 67 from a 69/70.

Looking forward to the pics....

17. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Its called a failure of the validation department.

18. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

a 67 from a 69, 100%

19. BUncirculated

I wouldn't know. I don't know if I have an 70s in my collection.

I will say this; however, that the pinpoint hole theory would take longer to find during grading and the graders don't spend much time on any one particular coin as they have numerous to grade each day.

20. BUncirculated

67 from a 69, yes.

69 from 70, I don't think that's likely.

21. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I'm not taking this bait about MS70, but regardless, if you have an MS70 coin and you drop the slab and the coin slides a half MM, then what do you have? an MS69 in a slab or an MS68?

Draft saved Draft deleted