Peter Nichols cabinets

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Mithril, Oct 21, 2022.

1. Mithril

Mithril Member

I really like my coin cabinets, I couldn't imagine housing my coins in any other way. I have 7 now.. too many really, but they are almost collectible in their own right. I was talking to the Peter Nichols company this week and was told they are stopping all business.

That's quite a shock as they are probably the premier cabinet makers in the UK who make bespoke cabinets for the likes of the British museum.

I'll be sorry to see that ending.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Any photos?
    Edit I looked them up.
    Those are some cool cabinets.
    [​IMG]

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Shoot......most of my stuff is stashed in old dressers and end tables heralding back to when the two of us (my main squeeze :)) were married. Dang near 50 years (next August, 2023). I'd love to see a photog too......:)

5. Mithril

Mithril Member

Mine aren't quite as flash but I took a quick few snaps.

Attached Files:

6. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Beat us. My main squeeze and I will make it 50 in September 2023.

Randy Abercrombie and green18 like this.
  7. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

We just hit 30 a few days ago.

Nice dang cabinets!!!

green18 and Inspector43 like this.
  8. Histman

Histman Too Many Coins, Not Enough Time!

Pretty cabinet. The wood isn't an issue for the coins?

9. Mithril

Mithril Member

No, they are all seasoned mahogany so quite inert. I tend to collect hammered so thats a different world to modern coins anyway.

green18 likes this.
  10. Inspector43

Congratulations on 30

green18 and CoinCorgi like this.
  11. green18

Dang, that's nice. Had a chance to pick up a nice 'secretary' at an estate sale last month. Nowhere near as nice as what you have but it would have done my bidding. Passed on the price.......

12. green18

Ibid.......:)

CoinCorgi likes this.
  13. Pickin and Grinin

Mines in an old secretary's desk. Modified of course. Non, of my Marriages lasted very long.
    Congat's.

Mainebill and green18 like this.
  14. Pickin and Grinin

Can you find these used on the market?
    Or something that you want to buy new?

15. Mithril

Mithril Member

UK coin auctions commonly have one or two cabinets in their miscellaneous section - and you can pick one up a bit cheaper than new - but they do hold their price very well so you're unlikely to get a complete bargain at those type of auctions. All bar 2 of mine were second-hand.

Good quality, second-hand cabinets of say 14 drawers would go for around £400 or so.

Mainebill and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  16. Mithril

Mithril Member

Here's a few random trays, note the different styles of recess in the different makes.

20221022_095233.jpg 20221022_095300.jpg 20221022_095328.jpg 20221022_095356.jpg 20221022_095437.jpg 20221022_095501.jpg

tibor, Pickin and Grinin and green18 like this.
  17. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yes it is, most definitely.

No wood, not even mahogany, is inert, regardless of its age and or seasoning.

And yes, all woods put off gasses that are harmful to coins. And all materials used to finish woods as well as materials used to line the cabinets also put off gasses harmful to coins. Which is why coin cabinets went of fashion and the vast majority of collectors stopped using them decades ago.

18. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

Shipping from England may be quite expensive where cabinets are concerned. The condition when it arrives would also be a concern.
    There is a collector over on the CU forum that built his own. Really quality.

19. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

This is a good club to be a member of. We will mark our golden anniversary in June 2023.

The only small issue is that I don’t have a single thing that is gold, except my wedding ring!

robec and Inspector43 like this.
  20. Inspector43

I have only one gold coin. 1899 S $5 piece. All the rest of my collection is the standard circulation stuff. Yes, a good club.

21. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I’m be owned a couple English 19th c. Honestly I could build that and better. And even build to hold slabs and be fairly strong locking. But it would cost. Trade me a couple ms 64-5 pcgs cac proof trade dollars and I’d build you a hell of a coin cabinet. Tiger maple figured mahogany. Satinwood veneer banded with rosewood. All hand cut dovetails. That’s my game.

Draft saved Draft deleted