Pescennius Niger

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Egry, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Egry

Egry Well-Known Member

It has been almost a year and a half since I realized that my newly purchased Pescennius Niger denarius from Roma Numis had gone missing in transit. I still think about what a loss to history that may have been, and it made me think about all the other coins that get lost in the mail. I mean where do they actually end up??

Regardless, I am pleased to say that I have finally acquired a Pescennius Niger denarius which will be proudly added to my collection, and one that is many times nicer than the one that went missing.

05179DF9-D869-4CB8-B7BF-966718496C82.jpeg
    Pescennius Niger, Roman Emperor from 193-194 AD, Silver Denarius (2.98g, 21mm), struck at Antioch 193 AD. Obverse: Laureate Head of Pescennius Niger facing right, legend around, “IMP CAES C PESE NIGER IVSTI AV”. Reverse: Jupiter seated facing left on backless throne, holding sceptre in left hand and Victoria, who holds spear and wreath, in his right, legend around, “IOVI PRAE ORBIS”. As Sear-6111 (different legend); RSC-43b var. A problem free denarius of Pescennius Niger with near perfect centring – features a curiously different obverse legend and a scarcer reverse.

Please post any of your coins from The Year of The Five Emperors! (Sounds like it should be an action movie).

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

Gorgeous coin, @Egry! Great acquisition to your collection!

I only have two from AD 193:

[​IMG]
    Manlia Scantilla, wife of Didius Julianus, Augusta, AD 193.
    Roman Æ Sestertius; 28.8 mm, 22.62 g, 12 h.
    Rome mint, AD 193.
    Obv: MANLIA•SCAN-TILLA•AVG, draped bust right.
    Rev: IVNO REGINA SC, Juno standing left, holding patera and scepter; to left, peacock at feet, standing left, head turned up.
    Refs: RIC 18a; BMCRE 32-36; Cohen 6; RCV 6083; Woodward, Didius, dies 6/-; Banti 2.

[​IMG]
    Didia Clara, daughter of Didius Julianus and Manlia Scantilla, Augusta, AD 193.
    Roman Æ Sestertius, 21.16 g, 30.5 mm, 6 h.
    Rome, AD 193.
    Obv: DIDIA CLARA AVG, bare-headed and draped bust right.
    Rev: HILARITAS SC, Hilaritas standing, head left, holding palm branch and cornucopiae.
    Refs: RIC 20; BMCRE 38-41; RCV 6087.
    Notes: obverse die 3, reverse die H, Woodward, "The Coinage of Didius Julianus and His Family." Num Chron. 121:71, 1961. Reverse die-match to BMC 40 and BMC 41 in the British Museum collection.

Finn235, nicholasz219, Egry and 13 others like this.
  4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The Eastern mints of Septimius Severus borrowed heavily from the types used by Pescennius Niger. One of the more scarce of these is the IOVI PRAE ORBIS.
    rg3070bb1565.jpg

While there is still question as to the location of the Severan mints in the region, The coins of Pescennius Niger are usually attributed to Antioch. In recent years, however, it has become apparent that he also has denarii from other cities. This IVSTITIA is from Caesarea.
    rd0045fd0775.jpg

To me, a most interesting feature of the coins of Pescennius is how many types and variations exist with very few being even slightly common. It is not at all unusual to see coins unlisted in the literature especially when you consider the extreme variations in legend spellings and abbreviations. This added to the fact that many of his coins are found in relatively poor condition means that it will not be possible to collect him as a specialty and maintain high standards for condition. As far as I have been able to discover, this BONI EVINTVS is one of a kind due to the spelling.
    rd0050bb1458.jpg

On the other hand, the VICTOR IVST AVG is very common. I have seen half a dozen of which mine is far from the finest.
    rd0055bb3155.jpg

Other coins become scarce when you consider minor elements of the design. Other Minervas exist. This one has an owl.
    rd0052nt3485.jpg

I am unaware of a good resource on the coins of Pescennius Niger. There have been articles on him from years ago but the entire series, let alone a die study, remains to be done. Is anyone working on it? Is there enough material to make it even remotely possible?

5. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

That's a quality Pescennius Niger , Egry , congrats

I still miss the Pertinax, Didius and the Pescennius coins

Not so long ago I bought a Clodius Albinus

P1240123 best.JPG

6. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Pescennius Niger Ar Denarius Antioch 193-195 AD Obv Head right laureate Rv, Fortuna standing left RIC 76 var 3.70 grms 18 mm Photo by W. Hansen pesniger3.jpg I really never was that concerned about owning one of these however on the last day of the 2019 NYINC I was offered this coin and a steep discount and a generous repayment schedule. It does have a Garrett collection pedigree and so why not. The reverse is very OC but is one of his numberless minor varieties. The portrait is very nice and clear.

7. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Amazing new pesky Pescennius! So sorry to read about the one that got away.
    I chased Pescennius around for a couple years, getting outbid time and again, until I landed this brute:
    share4645417843835553862.png

8. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Don't have a Pescennius Niger yet. I did bid on Clodius Albinus in the last FSR auction but was outbid.

Egry likes this.
  9. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

If you post a picture of it here, we can be on the lookout for it. Surely it will eventually show up.

DonnaML and Egry like this.
  10. Egry

Egry Well-Known Member

@Roman Collector, I am finding that a nice Didius Julianus is one of the most elusive coins I have come across. Your Manila Scantilla and Didia Clara are also just as elusive and are not yet in my collection. Great coins!

DonnaML likes this.
  11. Egry

Egry Well-Known Member

Very interesting write-up @dougsmit.

Do you know if because an entire die study has not yet been completed does this leave the wider door open for forgeries? Is there a higher frequency of fakes of Pescennius Niger in general?

12. Egry

Egry Well-Known Member

Here is a picture from the Roma website. I have tried keeping an eye out for it, supposedly it did make it to Australia. Hopefully it will fall in the hands of someone that will appreciate it.

64C3194F-4F99-4825-9D0C-1B81A14D7F04.jpeg

13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

There most certainly is! There is even a fake in the British Museum Catalog and some offered all too frequently by dealers that really should know better. Are all three of these original? There is even a Slavei with the same type that is not even close to being 'dangerous' that shows up regularly. Buy from dealers you trust.

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=2733653
    https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=5650131
    https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=2453102

Egry likes this.
  14. Egry

Egry Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information Doug. I purchased my coin from a very trusted dealer who has been actively searching for a number of hard to get coins for my collection. I believe he purchased this one from a recent Leu Numismatik auction. From what I have been reading here they seem to be quite reputable, I hope so because it wasn’t cheap.

DonnaML likes this.
  15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/C_1867-0101-1713
    I must note that there are many coins that leave me uncertain whether they are good or not. The three I posted above are definitely bad but the BM coin here is a reverse die match but possibly OK. It was not the master from which the fakes were made (IMO) and also uses a different obverse. Still, would I buy it? IDK.

DonnaML and Egry like this.
  16. El Cazador

El Cazador Well-Known Member

@Egry

I am not an expert here, but edges look suspiciously even and smooth, i did cross-checked other examples and had a hard time finding other examples with similar smooth and sharp edges

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  17. Egry

Egry Well-Known Member

It is the nicest one I have seen, hence why I bought it. I’ve put my trust in a reputable dealer, and from what I understand a reputable auction house. But, if people on here are suspecting it may be a fake please let me know and I will look into further.

I’ve handled a lot of ancients but I am not an expert in identifying forgeries, however in hand it does not look fake to me. But when I first saw the images I did question it just because of how nice it was for a Pescennius Niger as most are quite ragged. Keep in mind the edges around the coin image have been trimmed, maybe a little to well. I’ll try get the original raw photo.

Any other opinions are welcome.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    DonnaML likes this.
  18. Egry

Egry Well-Known Member

Forgive my ignorance but does the BM acknowledge that it is a forgery?

19. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

Sestertii. Worn but I like them!

pert.png
    IMP CAES P HELV PERTINAX AVG - laureate Head of Pertinax right
    PROVIDENTIAE DEORUM COS II S C - Providentia standing left, holding up right hand to large star, left hand on breast
    Sestertius, Rome, ca. late Jan-28.Mar 193 (second emission of Pertinax)
    29,90 mm / 21,06 gr
    Woodward (“The Coinage of Pertinax”, Numismatic Chronicle 1957, pl. XII, 1 (same dies, obv. 11/rev. I.D, citing specimen in Paris); RIC 22; BMCRE 28-30 and pl. 2, 3; Cohen 52; Cayon (Los Sestercios del Imperio Romano) 17; Sear 6055; Banti (I Grandi Bronzi Imperiali, Vol.II-3) 20 (13 specimens); none in Guelma hoard

juli.png
    IMP CAES M DID SEVER IVLIAN AVG - laureate head of Didius Julianus right.
    RECTOR ORBIS - Didius Julianuus, bareheaded and togate, standing facing, looking left, holding globe on extended right hand and scroll at his side in left, S — C in lower field.
    Sestertius, Rome, 28 March —1 June 193
    26,73 mm / 21,06 gr
    Woodward (“The Coinage of Didius Julianus and his Family,” in Num. Chron. 1961, obv. die 16/rev. die F); RIC 16; BMCRE 28 and pl. 4, 3; Hunter 10; Cayon 5; Cohen 17; Sear 6077; Banti 6 (55 specimens); none in Guelma hoard
    .png
    D CLOD SEPT ALBIN CAES - bare head of Clodius Albinus right.
    MINER PACIF COS II S C - Minerva standing left, holding olive-branch in extended right hand and resting left on shield at her side, spear propped against left arm.
    Sestertius, Rome, 194
    29,19 mm / 21,56 gr
    Hill (The Coinage of Septimius Severus and his Family of the Mint of Rome, A.D. 193-217) 120; RIC 54(a); BMCRE 535 and pl. 23, 4; Cohen 49; Sear 6151, Banti 18 (42 specimens); 1 in Guelma hoard

20. Egry

Egry Well-Known Member

Julius Germanicus likes this.
  21. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

I'm no expert, by far, but ýour reverse seems quite similar compared to various examples on acsearch, except for a pellet next to the E, and on the end of the legend, on the S. https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=4871109
    and (off flan):
    https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=5059979

And do you perhaps know why your coins was offered for auction twice, in 6 months? Perhaps there's a clue hidden in there (positive, or negative)?

I truly hope a real expert can give his or her opinion. I can see other examples with okay edges, e.g. the one auctioned by Rome mentioned above.

Draft saved Draft deleted