PERU - Sol De Oro - 1973 Coin Spill or Buried Coins - Found Detecting

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by paddyman98, Apr 26, 2015.

1. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

:eek: Not long ago I was metal detecting at a local park here in New York City. This is a find that amazed me as I was metal detecting and digging out coin after coin all in a 2 foot circumference. And all about 2-3 inches deep. In total I found the following;

9 - Un Sol De Oro all 1973
    5 - 1/2 Sol De Oro all 1973
    3 - 25 Centavos all 1973
    2 - 10 Centavos all 1973
    2 - 5 Centavos all 1973
    1 - British Pound from 2003

I don't think it was an actual coin spill since all the Peruvian coins were from 1973 except the British pound. I just wonder how it got to be buried all together. Enjoy!
    Peru01.jpg Peru02.jpg Peru03.jpg Peru04.jpg Peru05.jpg
    Also, I included a picture of the park as seen from my window on the 13th floor. Where the word PERU appears on the picture is where I found these coins.
    ParkPeru.jpg

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Jose & Britany were having a romp in the park ?

jello, Seattlite86 and paddyman98 like this.
  4. paddyman98

Haha.. I don't know them but I do have a Peruvian friend named Jose! :D

Seattlite86 likes this.
  5. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Great view and awesome find!

paddyman98 likes this.
  6. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

What are the chances of finding a pile of foreign coins in a New York City park? Pretty interesting finds Paddyman, it's amazing all the people that metal detect on Cointalk!

tommyc03 and paddyman98 like this.
  7. paddyman98

Thanks! I love Detecting! And this is only the beginning. There are some other finds from this very same park that I will share soon such as a 1909 Swiss Olympic Silver Medal, a USS Constellation Commemorative Medal, Miscellaneous Foreign coins, Buffalos, Subway Tokens and weird Exonumia. I posted most of my silver finds on another thread recently.

tommyc03 and coinman1234 like this.
  8. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

You can dig up the grass at a public park over there? There's parks around me, but I'd feel too awkward metal detecting in front of onlookers. I also think it's illegal here

9. loopytoad74

loopytoad74 Active Member

WOW.right on your doorstep.is that the first time you have metal detected the park,I think its amazing how preserved coins can remain . They're lovely. Well done paddyman.now can I have my pound back,I knew I dropped it somewhere.[emoji106]

10. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

Nice find...there is something about finding your small treasures and then researching them. I guess its that feeling that keeps most us keep coming back for more. Thank you. :joyful:

paddyman98 likes this.
  11. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

An olympic medal? like one an athlete would win? Now that would be a find.

paddyman98 and coinman1234 like this.
  12. paddyman98

I really don't know exactly what it is. I found one example on the internet, the gold version. It's also holed in a crazy so to me it looks like someone wore it on a chain. I promise I will post it soon!

13. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Please do, I am curious about this :)

paddyman98 likes this.
  14. paddyman98

Yes I can as long as I don't leave a mess. We need a detecting permit here in NYC so I get asked for it sometimes by the Parks Department. The Police really don't care much so they don't bother me. The trick is going early in the morning when the park is nice, quiet and empty!

tommyc03 and joecoincollect like this.
  15. paddyman98

I have lived across this park for the past 44 years. I got my Detector 4 years ago and I pretty much have found most of the good stuff. But I still find jewelry and coins every time I go dirt digging!... No you can't have the pound back! ;)

tommyc03 and loopytoad74 like this.
  16. paddyman98

This is a map of the park I have been detecting for the past 4 years. East River Park aka John V. Lindsay Park. I was built in the early 1940's. The Star on the map is where I live and the circle is where I found the Peruvian Coins. This is a pretty huge park. Plenty more to be found!
    EastRiverPark.JPG

tommyc03 and loopytoad74 like this.
  17. loopytoad74

You've earned and most definitely deserve that pound young man.[emoji106]
    As for that park.it sounds like it just wont stop giving.[emoji1]

paddyman98 likes this.
  18. paddyman98

And here is the view from my bedroom window :woot:
    The small grassy area to the right is where I found the Olympic Medal, silver coins and a gun that was buried! I handed that over to the cops!
    Park2.jpg

tommyc03, loopytoad74 and rooman9 like this.
  19. loopytoad74

So it is true.!!
    There is such a thing called nice weather.Kinda lacking that in Wales.

paddyman98 likes this.
  20. loopytoad74

Thats one heck of a park.From your apartment window pic,I thought it was just that patch opposite[emoji87].
    Must be nice to step outside and jump straight into detecting. I envy you both.

paddyman98 likes this.
  21. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Completely awesome. I would have a field day somewhere like that. I never thought about going somewhere early. Thanks for that

Draft saved Draft deleted