Peru: silver half-dinero, 1897-JF

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Mar 8, 2021.

?

How interesting/appealing do you find this coin, whether or not you're an expert? (1=worst, 10=best)

1. 10

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. 9

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. 8

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. 7

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  5. 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 5

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Peru: silver half-dinero, 1897-JF
    01-PeruHalfDinero-frame.png

This diminutive beauty is a screaming, flashy supergem, fully prooflike, with Cameo contrast. There is just a hint of light champagne/gold toning. The first set of photos I had for it were pretty wretched. This set, my latest attempt, also shot through the plastic, are at least serviceable, but still do not do it full justice. Some of the apparent "scratches" seen here are likely scuffs in the plastic of the slab (or reflections thereof), but there might be a few die polish lines and such, too. The coin itself is as nearly perfect as the grade would indicate.

Mintage: 320,000.

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/15493128

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces5413.html

01-PeruHalfDinero-frame.png

02-PeruHalfDinero-black.png

03-PeruHalfDinero-gradient.png

04-PeruHalfDinero-gradient.png

05-PeruHalfDinero-coinscape.png

06-PeruHalfDinero-obv.jpg

07-PeruHalfDinero-rev.jpg

07-PeruHalfDinero-slab.png

08-PeruHalfDinero-GIF.gif

005865S

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Imagine what a US half dime or Canadian “fish scale” silver 5-cent piece would be worth in PCGS MS67!

This little Peruvian cousin of theirs? Barely cost me over 50 bucks... in the slab.

4. Seascape

Seascape U.S. & World Collector

I gave you a 10... looks like something I would buy for sure.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  5. ConfederateHalf

ConfederateHalf Stars & Bars Forever

I got turned on to Peruvian silver coins on a trip to Lima in 1987. I’ve been collecting these half dineros for 15 years and I also have specimens of prooflike cameo quality. Lots to like about this series: Beautiful design, low cost, high grade specimens availability, plentiful die varieties and errors, and no real “stoppers” to prevent one from completing a set. A great way to collect this equivalent to our 19th century half dime in mint state without having to be a numismatic “whale” to do so.

6. gmarguli

gmarguli Slightly Evil™

I'm a big fan of this design. Started collecting with the 1/2 Dineros, but have moved on to the other associated denominations as my 1/2D set is basically maxed out. Definitely more people collecting them now. Prices have gone way up on most of them.

Given the number of over dates, over mint marks, and general misspellings of things like the name of the country, I have to think the mint paid their workers in booze.

The 1/2D posted by the OP came from a couple of original rolls I was able to obtain 10-15 years ago.

7. ConfederateHalf

ConfederateHalf Stars & Bars Forever

I agree with your observations. Classic Peruvian decimal coins have definitely been rising in price as interest in quality World Coins has ramped up. I also am slowly branching out. I particularly like the 1/5 Sol denomination. Essentially the equivalent of a U.S. 20c piece, I suppose. This particular series has a tendency to show up with beautiful toning. I'm not quite sure why that is, but I like it. I just scored a 1907 Proof 1/5 Sol this past week that has gorgeous deep rose colored toning on about 1/3 of the obverse. It also has a superb strike with flashy proof-like mirrored fields. Less than $40 on ye olde eBay. What's not to like?!

8. Robidoux Pass

Robidoux Pass Well-Known Member

Great coin, LordM! I'd be proud to own it. I do like the champagne toning.

Draft saved Draft deleted