Peru 1/2 Dinero 1900/1890 overdate

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by KurtS, Jan 28, 2015.

1. KurtS

KurtS Die variety collector

This overdate is just one of many in this series. If you're looking to get into overdates, these small silver coins are a fun place to start--they're easy to find and they have dramatic details. Check out the bold overdate on this coin--no arrows are needed: :D

[​IMG]

Besides the overdate, there are other interesting details such as clash marks and re-punched letters (or a doubled die). The coin was shot using a technique to maximize details.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

Very nice! Pretty coin too!

KurtS likes this.
  4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

very neat overdate!

KurtS likes this.
  5. Errol Rojas

Errol Rojas New Member

Hi there. What is the technique you use for shooting the fine details.

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

There are about 15 overdate varieties for the Dinero 1/2 coins and dozens more for the 1 Dinero and the 1/2 Sol.

Also could that be a clash of the bottom part of the shield from the Rev on the OBV? Between her head and staff?

Just made me think.. When we use the word Dinero in Spanish it means money. Example - Tengo Dinero. Translates to I have money. Word origins interest me.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
    KurtS likes this.
  7. KurtS

KurtS Die variety collector

Yeah--Peru coins from this era are full of overdates and other varieties. I was not collecting Peru until I found a bunch of these in a dealer's shop @ a nice price for MS coins. These overdates are really bold and clear--they helped get me interested in world varieties. I agree--there's a strong clash of the shield by the figure. Before then, I did not know that "Dinero" was denomination.

It's similar to axial lighting, but my own technique. I don't use a beamsplitter (piece of glass) between the coin and the camera. Because of that, I think I get better quality shots. :)

paddyman98 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted