Persian Siglos

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by arnoldoe, Aug 26, 2016.

1. arnoldoe

arnoldoe Well-Known Member

I got this one in the same shipment as my avatar Constans II, but this one is over 1100 years older ( and my oldest coin so far)

Some historians say that 50 million people, which was 44 % of the worlds population lived under the Persian Empire during this time ( The highest percentage of any empire ever)

Achaemenid Empire. Time of Darios I to Xerxes I, circa 505-480 BC. Siglos

Obverse Persian king or hero wearing radiate tiara and Median robe with quiver over shoulder, Drawing bow in kneeling stance; uncertain countermark to left.
    Reverse . Oblong incuse.
    Carradice Type II, pl. XI, 12. Very fine.
    5.28g - 13mm

image00354.jpg IMG_16565.jpg

Jwt708, Curtisimo, Aidan_() and 23 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

Nice coin, Arnoldoe. I really like these and your example is great!

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Very nice, need one myself.

5. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

From my personal collection
    siglos.jpg
    486 to 450 BC
    13x16mm, 5.52g
    Type 3

Curtisimo, TIF, dlhill132 and 13 others like this.
  6. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

Here's mine. (Yours is so much better.)
    Achaemenid kings of Persia, time of Artaxerxes- Darius III, C.a 430-350 BC
    AR Siglos 15mm 5.53 g
    Persian king hero kneeling stance
    Dogger in right hand, bow in left, quiver on back. Incuse punch.
    Achaemenid Kings Of Persia 430-350 BC C.png

Curtisimo, TIF, dlhill132 and 9 others like this.
  7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Neat coin. Good details.
    ACHAEMENID EMPIRE.jpg

Jwt708, Curtisimo, TIF and 9 others like this.
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Great capture @arnoldoe ! And nice fun facts about the Empire...

Looks like I need to reshoot mine!

Persian Empire - Achamenid - Darius I to Xerxes II Ca 485-420 BCE AR Siglos.JPG
    Persian Empire - Achamenid - Type III Spear over shoulder Darius I to Xerxes II Ca 485-420 BCE AR Siglos, Bankers Marks, Incuse punch reverse

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    Jwt708, Curtisimo, TIF and 8 others like this.
  9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Very nice! I am very fond of Type II. My siglos came from a Stacks sale long ago that brought me three coins all of which are still my favorites. I am still looking for another with shoe detail to confirm that it was intentional die design. Centering on these is not usually very good.
    g01440b00452lg.JPG

My only other Type II is a fourree 1/3.
    g01442bb2612.jpg

For those new to Persian, there are four major groups. Type I (I lack) shows the king waist up and is scarce. This link from CNG show a great coin showing not only the bow but the fist full of arrows off flan on many coins of the type.
    https://www.cngcoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=272235
    Type II (OP and my two above) shows the king drawing back on his bow. Type III carries a spear over his shoulder while Type IV has a dagger. All have a bow but only Type II show it in use. These last two are very common but 95% of them are off center or on small flans so you might need to search a bit to get ones with full details.
    g01670bb0091.jpg g01680bb0124.jpg

They also come in gold for enthusiasts.

DEA, Curtisimo, Valentinian and 15 others like this.
  10. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

That's a very desirable coin @arnoldoe ! One of these needs to be in my collection as I've spent a bit of time studying the period. I like everyone's contributions here.

11. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

As usual, very cool posts guys!!

I still need to replace the single example I once had.

12. Alegandron

Get a GOLD one Mikey! And when you do, get ME one too!!! :D

Jwt708 and Mikey Zee like this.
  13. Alegandron

Rats, Doug, you had written about the Type I-IV types before, and got me interested. I got sidetracked into other focus areas and almost forgot. Now, looks like you have stirred a new mission for me...

And, thank you for the great write-up. (You know, I read virtually all of your posts, I just muse on them and do not always jabber about them. :D )

Mikey Zee likes this.
  14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Be sure you check the prices on that Type I. Of course you can get low grade, off center ones for 10% and someday maybe I will. I suppose it would be a mistake to mention that the things come in several sizes but the popular big ones are most common so most people will never want a 1/24th or the like. Remember the main goal of antiquity was to make life difficult on 21st Century collectors (or does it just seem that way???).

Jwt708, TIF, Mikey Zee and 1 other person like this.
  15. Brian Bucklan

Brian Bucklan Well-Known Member

Has anyone heard of a barbarous type AR Siglos? Put this away years ago as had some people say that this coin is contemporary, and others say it could be a modern copy. It does not appear to be a cast (absolutely no edge seam or bubbles) and is silver. It is 17x20mm and weighs 4.8gms. Would appreciate any opinions.

Siglos.jpg

Curtisimo, dlhill132, icerain and 5 others like this.
  16. Alegandron

I have always liked the fractionals in any issues. They are very fun to chase. Thanks for the reminder!

17. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

arnoldoe => great OP-score (congats)

I've always liked this type ... I want more

=> I only have this one humble example ... I fricken "love" this coin (it makes me smile, every time)

running man a.jpg running man b.jpg

:rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    Curtisimo, TIF, dlhill132 and 7 others like this.
  18. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Great background fact! I was not aware the Persian empire was that large.
    I have one. Not the best example, but one of my oldest coins. I use the coin in my coins of the Bible talks. I find it interesting that the old testament (Ex 30:13) talks about a temple tax in Shekels before money was minted. Of course that only means that silver was paid by weight. The passage makes more sense talking about silver by weight.

King James Bible
    This they shall give, every one that passeth among them that are numbered, half a shekel after the shekel of the sanctuary: (a shekel is twenty gerahs:) an half shekel shall be the offering of the LORD.

19. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

Get an Athenian "Owl" with the sliver of moon, display the two side by side, and make Herodotus happy.

20. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

I'll add mine to the mix:

Kingdom of Lydia, Persian Rule: Artaxerxes I–Darius III (ca. 450-330 BCE) AR Siglos (Sear-4682)

Obv: Bearded archer (the Great King) kneeling right, holding spear and bow
    Rev: Oblong punch

[​IMG]

Jwt708, Curtisimo, Alegandron and 9 others like this.
  21. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted