Featured Persian siglos from the Wars Against the Greeks

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Parthicus, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Great historical essay, @Parthicus ! I've been tempted to expand my ancient Persian collection but as of today, I'm the custodian of only one.

PERSIAN.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

ominus1 likes this.
  4. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..why thank you sir! :)

Deacon Ray likes this.
  5. NormW

NormW Student Of Coinology

I get it. Thanks

6. arnoldoe

arnoldoe Well-Known Member

Mine is also a Type II
    [​IMG]
    It also has a counter mark, counter-marks seem much less common on these than the later coins..

7. lrbguy

lrbguy Well-Known Member

Since no one else has shown one so far, I may as well embarrass myself. After 30 years of collecting these sigloi, mainly for the countermarks, I had never added a Carradice type I. Late last year I figured it was high time to at least fill the gap, so I broke down and got a spacefiller:

Type I

Sig-T1-nn100.jpg

Such as it is, the type I features only the upper body of the "Great King" facing right wearing crown and holding a bow before him with both arms. This one stands at 14mm and weighs in at 5.17g.

Earlier this year I picked up from the same vendor a coin he called a type II 1/3 siglos. At 10mm, and weighing 1.77g that works out about right at least in relation to the weight above.

Type II, 1/3 siglos

3rdSig-T2-nn.jpg

Type IV, 1/6 siglos?

Back in 1999 I paid top dollar on eBay for what the seller, who works for a London auction house today, offered as a 1/6 siglos. This coin measures 8x9mm and weighs 1.27g. In relation to the weight of my first two coins here this seems 50% too heavy (should be ~0.86g). It's in range for a 1/4 siglos by these standards.

6thsigT4-bs132-sm.jpg

Other opinions?

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I mirror the confusion of intended denominations on my two type IV fractions. It gets worse considering the wear on my coins. The ID's were supplied by the dealer in 1992.

AR 1/6? Siglos 1.0g
    g71690bb0579.jpg

AR 1/12? Siglos 0.5g
    g71700bb0580.jpg

9. lrbguy

lrbguy Well-Known Member

After checking my scales against a standard 700 grain weight it was off by .1 grain. Close enough. I just ran the weights on a dozen sigloi: a Type II, a type IV, and the rest type III.
    Switching to grams:
    The heaviest was 5.59g, the lightest was 5.32g; the median was 5.50g.

Based on this limited sample, I think the target weight for a siglos is close to my median, 5.50g. => 1/3 ~ 1.83g; 1/4 ~ 1.38g; 1/6 ~ .92g; 1/12 ~ .46g

At that rate, Doug, your weights and denoms seem to be on scale.

My three in this post are light but in range as we have pegged them. What I bought as a 6th is really a quarter.

10. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

upload_2018-6-16_9-38-20.png
    Persia Achaemenid Type III spear over shoulder Darius I to Xerxes II Ca 485-420 BCE AR Siglos Bankers Marks Incuse rev

Andres2, ominus1, Parthicus and 2 others like this.
  11. Muhammad Niazi

Muhammad Niazi Well-Known Member

How authentic must a sigloi be that weighs 4.53grams?

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

No. The Type 2 as shown by Parthicus above and my two. Yours is a Type 3 with the dagger off flan to the left. The tip off on type 2 is the bow string is pulled back under tension so it does not go straight down like it does on the other types where the bow is just carried but not in use.

13. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

How ‘bout an Achaemenid Daric?

[​IMG]
    PERSIA
    Achaemenid Daris I-Xerxes II
    485-420 BCE
    AV Daric 14mm 8.3g
    Lydo Milesian Sardes king wearing kidaris kandys quiver spear bow
    Incuse
    Carr Type IIIb Group A-B pl XIII 27

14. Roerbakmix

Roerbakmix Well-Known Member

upload_2019-11-25_22-51-13.png
    KINGS OF PERSIA, Xerxes I - Darius II
    Denomination: AR Siglos (Type IIIb (early)), minted: Sardis; ca. 485-420 bc
    Obv: Kneeling-running figure of the Great King right, transverse spear with point downward in right, bow in left, bearded, crowned. Drapery with naturalistic fold over the advanced left knee. Central banker mark.
    Rev: Incuse, with four bankers marks: at 9'o clock nr 71/72, at 6'o clock nr 46, at 3'o clock nr. 47; central nr. 1, as published by George F. Hill in the British Museum Catalog, volume on Persia, p. cxxxvii (found here: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Siglos)
    Weight: 5.5g; Ø:1.2mm
    Catalogue: Carradice Type IIIb C (pl. XIV, 36). BMC Arabia pl. XXV, 15.
    Provenance: Ex. private collection; acq.: 04-2019

Andres2, ominus1, Parthicus and 3 others like this.
  15. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..welp, i'd better add my 2 siglos's worth..:D Persian Siglos 001.JPG Persian Siglos 002.JPG

16. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Persian Empire Ar Siglos 485-429 B.C. Carridice IIIb early 5.34grms persia1.jpeg

17. Kein

Kein Member

And where did you acquire this “Persian” coin??? If you don’t mind me asking?

Parthicus likes this.
  18. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I believe @Parthicus gave that information in the very first sentence you quoted. Why have you include the word ‘Persian’ in quotes?

Orielensis and Parthicus like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted