Perpetrata Caede Pergere et Exsilium

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by pragmatic, Jul 7, 2017.

1. pragmatic

pragmatic Well-Known Member

A New Concept thread about coins (and medals and tokens) with a theme of a ruler (King, queen, president, sultan,...etc) who was either assassinated or exiled.
    To make the thread fruitful and informative, a wee wiki-like information on the incident would be a snap, in addition to the coin information itself :)
    I start with a local coin))

Egypt 10 piastres 1980 (Hijri Year 1400) Commemorative; "Egyptian - Israeli Peace Treaty"

Obverse: President Mohammed Anwar As-sadat + Peace Dove - 26 March, 1979. Peace Treaty Commemorative ذكرى توقيع اتفاقية السلام - zekra tawqee' etefaaqeyyet as-salam.
    20170707_142737.jpg 20170707_142809.jpg

Muhammed Anwar Al Sadatwas the third President of Egypt, serving from 15 October 1970 until his assassination by fundamentalist army officers on 6 October 1981.

On 6 October 1981, Sadat was assassinated during the annual victory parade held in Cairo to celebrate Egypt's crossing of the Suez Canal. Islambouli emptied his assault rifle into Sadat's body while in the front of the grandstand, mortally wounding the President. In addition to Sadat, eleven others were killed, including the Cuban ambassador, an Omani general, a Coptic Orthodox bishop and Samir Helmy, the head of Egypt's Central Auditing Agency (CAA). Twenty-eight were wounded, including Vice President Hosni Mubarak, Irish Defence Minister James Tully, and four US military liaison officers.

The assassination squad was led by Lieutenant Khalid Islambouli after a fatwā approving the assassination had been obtained from Omar Abdel-Rahman. Islambouli was tried, found guilty, sentenced to death, and executed by firing squad in April 1982.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I like how the design blended the dove with the hand signing the treaty.

Curtisimo and pragmatic like this.
  4. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

Very interesting design on that one. Egypt has made some very beautiful coins.

Curtisimo and pragmatic like this.
  5. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Neat idea for a thread @pragmatic. I think it's unfortunate that threads like this die a lonely death far too often on the world coins forum.

Do you all seriously not like to show off your awesome coins o_O ;) :D ...or less than awesome but still interesting coins like this one!
    IMG_3969.JPG
    King George I of Greece reigned from 1863 to 1913. He was accustomed to traveling through his kingdom without much protection and was killed by a vagrant in Thessaloniki for aledgedly decline to give him money.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_I_of_Greece

pragmatic and lordmarcovan like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted