Permanently closed

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by GH#75, May 3, 2021.

1. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

This was the only coin store near me... I was looking forward nto going to it sometime soon, but it said temporarily closed. It was like that for the past 4 months. Until yesterday. Now, it says permanently closed. I had only ever gone there a few times because it was a long ways away. I wish I had gone there more often.

The reason being I don't really know. I assume the man (who was by no means young) probably got covid and may have passed away. I tried texting the phone number provided to see what had happened, but I got a response that made no sense. It said "(1/1)"

It makes me sad I'll never be able to go there again. I really liked the place. Coins everywhere, lol. It was a beautiful mess in there. I wanted to go back and buy some coins to complete some of my coin folders. I guess that won't ever happen. :(

I would have at least liked to know what happened. All I can do is guess.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Sorry for your loss . . . you are almost old enough to get your driver's license. Are there other shops within driving distance?

Andrew Snovell likes this.
  4. GH#75

Yeah, there are two more "nearby" (1 hour away) but I can't get my drivers license this year. I will have to wait until next year as all the classes were booked until winter.

Evan Saltis, Inspector43 and MIGuy like this.
  5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

@GH#75 . Maybe a good fortune will fall upon you as time passes along . Get that License as a goal and you'l find another coin shop. ;)

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Lost three local dealers I grew up buying from. Each loss was sad. The shops are still there but it's just not the same.
    The best thing they taught me was to save up and buy one nice coin and start saving again. They would just come out and tell me not to buy a coin because I could do better if I waited for it to come along. It's hard to forget good folks like this.

Lueds, Cheech9712, johnmilton and 6 others like this.
  7. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

It might also simply been the forced shutdowns due to Covid bankrupted the store, or the owner who you said is older is still fearful of interacting with the public.

I would search out coin shows OP. Except for finding a good coin shop owner to mentor you, shows are good for quickly comparing dealers stock.

8. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

The closest dealer to me has only been open Fridays and Saturdays.
    I was talking to him about a week ago about how he was surviving only being open two days. He said that if he didn't own the building he would have already gone under. The rent from the CBD business next door pays the mortgage.
    Sad thing is, he is ready to retire, and wants to sell.
    The good thing is he is making deals on his coins, comics and sport memorabilia.

9. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

When I was 15, I got a six (6) month permit, practiced with my parents, then took the written/driving test...no class required. Have things changed since 1974?

Mister X and GH#75 like this.
  10. Mkm5

Mkm5 Well-Known Member

Yes, it's been turned into another money grab, a few years back I think I paid $300 each for driver training for my 4 daughters.

yakpoo and GH#75 like this.
  11. daniel a DiBiasio

daniel a DiBiasio Well-Known Member

is there any flea markets in you're area?sometimes they have coin vendors there.

serafino and GH#75 like this.
  12. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

It hasn't been that in most states for quite a while. I was in the transition period in the mid 1980's in Iowa. People a couple of years older were required to take a class in order to get a license under the age of 18. Some states now require a license even after 18 if you've never had one before. Its all state by state, but all states I have lived in the last 30+ years require a class.

13. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I got my license in 1990 and it was a 6 month learners permit. Then a driving test. I did my drivers education in high school. Well after school and it was free.

GH#75 likes this.
  14. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

I am 18 and went through the exact same thing. I think it's different for each state.

15. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

He may have passed away but then again he may have taken ill and decided not to reopen. You may or may not find another LCS but you can find a few good companies online. Best wishes.

GH#75 likes this.
  16. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

Hello GH#75,
    It's a difficult lesson to learn, especially for someone as young as yourself but let me (76 years) share this.
    EVERYTHING CHANGES! So if you find something you really enjoy e.g. restaurant,
    swimming hole, local coin shop...Don't expect that they will always be around or the same. Enjoy them as much as possible~ NOW~!
    Just Sayin'
    J.T.

coin_nut, johnyb, yakpoo and 2 others like this.
  17. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

They come and go.
    It's unfortunate but part of life. Things like this is one of the reason I browse "old people websites" and have "old people hobbies" - eventually it's too late to be in touch with them.

I'm sure there are other places around. When I didn't have access to a coin store i went to every pawn shop in town, compared what I saw and got what I wanted. It's a long process but part of the fun of coins is having it in hand, being inspired and purchasing it. At least that's how it is for me.

18. GH#75

Yes, there are flea markets, and I have heard of one where my friend went and there was a coin dealer there. But I don't remember where it was. And its been a long time since we talked about it.

19. GH#75

For driving, for me at least, we have to take the $300+ drivers training 2 times (so something like $600) and then we have to pay for the test after proving I spent an allotted amount of time driving on the road and I was at classes at least this amount of days.

If I wanted, I could train by myself with my parents and take the test when I turn 18, but I'd rather do the training. I've heard that back in the 90's though, the training courses were just paid by the government and it was free.

20. GH#75

I doubt he was fearful of covid... He never wore a mask when I went and didn't enforce people wearing masks either. He could have possibly gone bankrupt, but I doubt it. He had dozens of coins he was showing me last time I went that were worth thousands. I remember him showing me a 1907 $20 Gold st. Gaudens double eagle (roman numerals) in MS62 he said was worth $27,000. And that was only one of the dozens of valuable coins he was showing me.

I have looked for coin shows, and would love to go to one, but they are all in Detroit or Grandrapids and I'm quite a ways away from them. Grandrapids is about an hour away, and Detroit is 3 hours away.

Evan Saltis likes this.
  21. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

There was an LCS near me that was owned by an older gentleman who decided to retire when he turned 75 years old. He sold it to some people from out of town and they turned it into a Sanford and Son style junk shop, with lousy but overpriced coins. They didn't even have the holders I needed for paper money, ended up driving some 30 km away to get them at another LCS.

YoloBagels and GH#75 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted