Perfect Timing!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Johndakerftw, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Johndakerftw

Johndakerftw Mr. Rogers is My Hero

Hi everyone,

How are you all coping?

mite been a rough month for me with my grandpa dying and then being stuck by myself for now going on three weeks.

But, a light shone through the darkness when, on Friday, a package came to my door. It included the book, The Twelve Caesars, and not one, but two totally dope coins!

It was the prize I won from Ryro’s contest in which so many of you graciously nominated me.

What a fantastic prize!

The two coins were, of course, the awesome AE Dupondius featuring Divus Augustus plus my very first Sestertius featuring Faustina II. This is now my biggest coin, my mini hockey puck. :D

This has really turned my stare of mind around. I’m starting to feel hopeful. It’s amazing what acts of generosity can do.

I’m going to be having lots of fun with my new book and coins over the next while.

081F9E0D-A8C5-4F93-929F-F55175B377DE.jpeg 6B5A9B66-9291-4443-9093-9B1FB3A0C348.jpeg 8ACB148D-F207-4C33-AA90-64DFEA5F6171.jpeg 564DD178-BC3F-4EE7-88B2-883EB38AC8FB.jpeg 054619A8-0445-4F5C-BB4B-95C357024A32.jpeg 9CCC1831-7668-4D6A-8C9A-48636FBC4AB1.jpeg 572BF5C4-F2C7-4908-B7F9-860134BCD0DE.jpeg 2CDDFC79-9928-4859-973D-F1E43788DE88.jpeg

I’m glad to see everyone enjoying their coins, as usual. Thank God for hobbies to keep our minds occupied on things other than the harsh reality.

Happy Sunday All!!

Erin

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cachecoins

Cachecoins Historia Moneta

Wow, very nice! The book is a good read and the coins are very nice.

Johndakerftw likes this.
  4. Johndakerftw

I got so excited with the coins and book that I didn’t do a proper thank you.

Thank you to Ryro for putting the contest together, thank you to all who participated and thank you to whoever paid for the shipping. I really, really appreciate you all!

Erin

Theodosius, Ryro, Justin Lee and 3 others like this.
  5. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

How fantastic, Erin! I've been cooped up by myself here in NYC for the last three weeks -- I've lost track of exactly how long, but it seems like forever -- and reading about and looking at ancient coins, especially on this forum, has been a wonderful and absorbing distraction. Much better than Netflix, since I've been unable to concentrate when I try to watch things. The more I can think about something other than COVID-19, and whether I'm still going to be alive in a couple of months, the better!

Johndakerftw likes this.
  6. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Hi Erin, I'm sure you'll find that book by Michael Grant a great read :D. I only have one small book by Grant, 96 pages, with excellent black & white illustrations that I purchased from a Barnnes & Noble book store 25 years ago, ROMAN HISTORY FROM COINS. The isolation brought on by this pandemic isn't easy to deal with, but what choice do we have :meh:? Try & stay positive :).

Hispanicus and Johndakerftw like this.
  7. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Congrats on the new coins Erin and I am glad that receiving them plus the book has raised your spirits. I am doing fine but it is a bit tiresome to be cooped up for so long.

Johndakerftw likes this.
  8. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

That's a nice addition to your library.

Another useful reference is The Roman Emperors, by Michael Grant

For historical fiction, I Claudius and Claudius the God by Robert Graves

Clavdivs and Johndakerftw like this.
  9. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Congratulations on receiving a great book/ plus coins:) That sure made your day!
    John

Johndakerftw likes this.
  10. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Great time to get a new book to read and a couple of coins to oogle! Congratulations again!

Johndakerftw likes this.
  11. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Congrats, Erin! Glad you received it! Twas rootin' fer ya!

Johndakerftw likes this.
  12. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

13. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

That's great, congrats.

Good luck on the set.

My 12 caesars set.

[​IMG]

Ryro, Bing, Johndakerftw and 2 others like this.
  14. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Your post just inspired me to finally read a numismatic book (on ancient numismatic art) that has been sitting on my shelf for over a year.

15. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

So glad everything arrived safe. You are more than welcome.
    Here’s a way to bright picture of your new Faustina ll. She really is a thick lady:D
    2C87043D-7B02-4FF3-A10C-6B7C0973BBCD.png
    Great pic of the two Coins edges to show off just how luscious she is!

Theodosius, Bing, furryfrog02 and 2 others like this.
  16. Johndakerftw

Thanks everybody!!

Co-vid has now hit my town, so it’s pretty tense around here. My mom is helping me out a lot, which I really appreciate.

I have really bad health anxiety, so I’m thankful for anything that can distract me.

I would love to do a 12 Caesar set, May, but that’s a dream. I’m thankful for the emperors I do have, though.

I’m glad I can be an inspiration, Collect89, lol.

I’m off to watch some Whose Line.

Have a great night!

Erin

Draft saved Draft deleted