Perfect Quality

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by 5dollarEdunote, Feb 10, 2011.

1. 5dollarEdunote

5dollarEdunote Coin Connoisseur

Hello collectors,

Does a coin certified by CAC price more than the same coin without? I found a pcgs 64 RB indian head valued at $165, and someone on Ebay is selling the coin, with CAC, for $220, with the Make An Offer option. Is this too much of an increase?

Thank you!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

In my opinion that's way too much of an increase. Of course I find the whole idea of a service that tells you if they agree or disagree with the TPG a bit farcical. I think I'll start yet another service that tells people if I agree or disagree with CAC's agreement or disagreement with the TPG.

4. Well, sometimes, people charge extra on ebay. Ebay charges you to sell things, remember. I've never heard of CAC, really. I only trust the big three: PCGS, NGC, and ANACS

5. jallengomez

jallengomez Cessna 152 Jockey

Ebay doesn't charge you THAT much to sell things. What year is this IH?

6. sro114

sro114 New Member

It all depends upon the coin in my opinion. I personally don't know if that much of an increase is warranted just for the CAC sticker, but the coin might be a pq for the grade.

7. 5dollarEdunote

5dollarEdunote Coin Connoisseur

Here is the listing: 1904 INDIAN CENT 1c PCGS/CAC MS64RB RED/BN LUSTROUS!

8. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

That is roughly a 30% premium. Without knowing the price of the same coin in MS65RB, how can we decide if the premium is too much? And I know where to find the price, I just don't feel like looking it up. If someone else wants to, feel free to post the amount!

9. NPCoin

NPCoin Resident Imbecile

It all depends on the buyer. If I were in the market and buying, a coin "certified" by CAC would in no way command a higher price from me. But, you actually have collectors that do, in fact, buy the plastic (and sticker) and not the coin.

What you need to determine is if the coin has appeal to you and you will feel satisfied with spending the amount of money you would potentially need to spend to get the coin that resides inside the plastic. However, if you are trying to purchase for the sake of making a "quick buck", then the fact you asked the question to begin with shows that you should not be trying to do so.

Even as a collector, though, there is always the nagging in the back of the mind worrying about whether or not the some day you may be able to recoup the money spent if and when needed. As mentioned, it all depends on the individual coin (and thus, "Buy the coin, not the plastic"). There are coins that do not have the "CAC approval" sticker that are much nicer than junk with the little green (or gold) bean.

As well, there are CAC'd holders that most definitely hold "Premium Quality" coins. The fact that the seller is even considering offers shows that the requested BIN is most likely on the high side, and it is likely that the seller may be considering even as low as a 15% premium for the "CAC'd" holder.

But, in the end, it is all up to what you like and what you are willing to pay to get what you want. That's basic economics. If the seller cannot deliver what you want for the price you want, then you have the option to simply pay more, or keep looking.

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It seems you folks are making an assumption that coins of a given grade are equal, they aren't. And it has nothing to do with whether the coin has a CAC sticker on it or not.

Pick any coin, of any denomination, of any grade. Then go look up the realized prices. What you're going to find are examples of that coin that have sold for half again as much as others. And you will probably find some that sold for as much as double as others. Yet they will all be the same coin of the same grade graded by the same company. And none of them will have a CAC sticker.

So if it's possible for these coins to vary in price so greatly without CAC stickers - why in the world would anyone be surprised if one with a CAC sticker varied in price ?

All coins vary in price folks, they always have. And seldom does it have anything to do with the grading company or a sticker. It has to do with the coin !

Of course if you are talking about pastic buyers - all of that goes out the window.

Draft saved Draft deleted