Penny

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Cashforgold, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Cashforgold

Cashforgold New Member

What is the rarest US penny?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Any one that I don't have.

4. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

Depends really, out of all 1 cents types or a particular type? I'd say the 1909-S VDB Lincoln is probably one of the most sought after and pretty rare, at least in a really good grade.

Also, rare can include the grade as well.

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

Leaving out errors and varieties, I would say the most rare date is 1799.

6. Billyray

Billyray Junior Member

1974 aluminum cent

7. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

1793LC, 1794 starred rev, 1803 ld sf, s1807/6, 1856FE, 1877IH, 1888/7, just a few that are worth more than the 1909svdb, 1941d, 1922.:devil:

8. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I'd say the 1909 S VDB is very highly sought after, but not super rare. At any given time, you can find lots on Ebay. In high grade, maybe you're on point. But I think it's just a really collected series.

And to the OP, the US Mint has never made a penny, so there aren't any rare ones. There are rare cents, however...

9. CopperJacket

CopperJacket New Member

I'd say a 1793 chain cent in MS-66+ would be pretty darn rare... or the 1856 flying eagle in high grade (only 2,000 minted).

10. jcakcoin

jcakcoin New Member

1969-S DD
    1974 aluminum cent
    1943 copper
    1944 steel

11. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

The answer to this question (and many, many others) can be found in your Red Book. (You DO own a Red Book, don't you?)

12. Victor

Victor Coin Collector

Not really rare but I just spent $240 on 3 raw Indian head cents and they all only grade G-4 if that!
    1869/69 Snow-3 list $150 in raw G-4. I paid $100
    1871 dealer ask $78, paid $75
    1872 dealer ask $85, I paid $65
    Still need the 1856, 1877 and 1909-S to make a complete set. Probably never happen.

13. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Looks like someone is trying to set up shop.

14. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

I will address a single year, the 1793 NC.1,NC.2, NC.3, NC.4, NC.5, and NC.6 would all qualify as Rare. These range from R8+ with 1 known to R7+ with 4 known.

15. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

I agree, it's pretty difficult to come up with one, because i believe the secret service can take them.

16. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

I would have to say my hero Steward Blay with his highest graded wheat cent >>> 1919 MS-69RD.

There's only ONE in the world, it can't get any rarer than that.

Attached Files:

17. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

Was that done by a tPG? any pics of rev.?

18. Billyray

Billyray Junior Member

Yes, they are illegal to own currently, but then again, so was the 1933 double eagle

19. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Go with the NC-5. There are a half dozen to a dozen or so unique large cents, but Dan Holmes was able to acquire all of them except the 93 NC-5. It is unique and permanently impounded in the ANS collection. There are several others where there are only two known with one permanently impounded in a museum and Dan had the other. Another good possibility is the 1851 N-42, the only late date piece missing from the Dan Holmes collection. It has been unique since it was discovered maybe 20 years ago and is in a private collection. Dan wasn't able to pry it loose.

20. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

I would add the 1825 N-5 just discovered a few months ago, although I doubt it will stay unique for long.

21. GreatWalrus

GreatWalrus WHEREZ MAH BUKKIT

Draft saved Draft deleted