Penny struck on foreign planchet?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by kellancoin, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

Same as a planchet with regard to ancients. If a smaller planchet was used, it could explain the broadstrike. However, I certainly agree a broadstrike is a good explanation. Love this hobby.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kellancoin

kellancoin New Member

4. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

First and foremost for this poster and all other posters. The DROP TEST leads to only two possible results. It can most definitely damage your coins. Second it can and does lead to confusion. It is by no means definitive and should never be done on any coin with a numismatic value. If you are merely sorting junk bullion coins to search for counterfeits drop away. We return you now to your regular programming.

5. Shawn martin

Shawn martin New Member

I have just found a 1970 D penny but a size of a dime with outside ring has all kinds of foreign markings it weight is at 2.50 grams if someone is interested or has any info would greatly appreciate.

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

You need to start your own separate thread with pictures. So far it sounds like you have PMD - Post Mint Damage.

8. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

What is the diameter? Seems like it was broadstruck to me from these pictures, Maybe a well centered Broadstrike seems likely. as far as it being lighter It shouldn't be unless the collar clipped the edge during the strike out of collar, but should be somewhat thinner and from a bit larger in diameter to really big in diameter depending on the pressure at the time of the strike.

Probably a partial collar broadstrike. If it were wear the copper plating I think would likely be penetrated at the highest points like the "CE" in cents for instance.
    I'd think the coin diameter should be the tell on it, and it might just be a millimeter in diameter larger, but even that will give it a different sound to it, like a cymbal on a drumset does.

Draft saved Draft deleted