Penny planchet larger than standard penny, normal?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Xperfectx, Jan 31, 2021.

1. Xperfectx

Xperfectx Forgive me, I am new here and curious.

I found this penny planchet while role hunting. This planchet has a with larger than a standard penny, however it has the same depth as a standard penny. Is this common? 20210131_064425.jpg 20210131_064415.jpg

Penny Luster likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

Foreign coin maybe? Its really worn down so you don't necessarily know that it is a US cent for sure. See what others have to say.

4. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Measure the thickness of the round that looks like a 'worn coin" and see how it compares to the other. Maybe a cent was hammered down or something like that.

Welcome to CoinTalk @Xperfectx

btw, since you said you are new to coins, you may find this interesting and informative:

Blanks and planchets represent the same product at different stages of production: the unstruck, circular pieces of metal that become coins when struck between the dies. Blanks are unfinished planchets that haven't been through all of the processing steps necessary before they can be struck into coins. Once a blank has been through all of the processing steps, it becomes a planchet and is ready to be struck.

https://www.fleur-de-coin.com/articles/blanks-planchets

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  5. Dialupsux

Dialupsux Well-Known Member

planchet has no rim.Perhaps after being rimmed it would be similar

LaCointessa likes this.
  6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

What's the weight?

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

No.. Will be the same width.

LaCointessa likes this.
  8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Blanck would tend to be the same size as the finished coin, the planchet will be slightly smaller in diameter.

I suspect this is just a slug.

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It would help to know the weight and to see both side of the object taken directly overhead.

Draft saved Draft deleted