Penny Nail.. Or Nail Thru Cent

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by paddyman98, Apr 28, 2016.

1. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

No this is not another coin struck on nail find.. I'm sure that by now we all know those are made in china!
    This is something Interesting I found at work during demolition cleanup. Seems like many years ago some carpenter was striking nails through Cents for some strange reason. I've done contracting work for overs 25 years and have never seen this technique before. Here are the pictures.
    20160428_074124.jpg 20160428_073923.jpg 20160428_073938.jpg 20160428_073736.jpg

TJ1952 and old49er like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Red licorice?

silentnviolent and paddyman98 like this.
  4. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Strange and interesting.

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. paddyman98

Haha.. No those are like plastic anchors. :wacky:

Markus1959 likes this.
  6. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

My guess is a carpenter by day and numismatist by night hated the zlincoln changeover so much he held a personal protest known only to him :p

@SuperDave's gonna love this on multiple levels

TJ1952 and paddyman98 like this.
  7. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Hilti gun loads. They're used to drive nails into concrete & block, and use .22 or .27cal blanks. The plastic finning is the equivalent of a sabot.

8. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Yup. And I wonder how many people know what a sabot is. Guns and zlincols. That's 2 of what I thought you'd like. What about the galvanic corrosion of a nail through a zlincoln for 30yrs. At least 1 looks like an 85.

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. SuperDave

Putting Zlincolns out of their misery.

10. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

+1 sabot is a shotgun load to make the round more like a rifle bullet .
    Probably didn't want the nail head to pull through .

paddyman98 likes this.
  11. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

It's also what they use on Mythbusters to fit odd things in cannons :p

Paul M. and paddyman98 like this.
  12. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Never hunted deer with a cannon.....however I'm sure it would really tenderize the meat. :)

Mainebill, Cascade and paddyman98 like this.
  13. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Does PCGS make slabs that big? :woot:

paddyman98 likes this.
  14. BrianS

BrianS Active Member

Maybe they needed washers and it was cheaper than using nickels?

15. paddyman98

I thought the same!

Paul M. likes this.
  16. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Agreed that it was a cheap washer - probably found the 1st couple blasting THROUGH the wood and instead of getting a lighter load they just improvised.

Years ago the company I worked for leased the rest of the floor and the construction crew tore out the old walls and turned the 'public' restrooms into leasable space. Along with dividing up the floor into a warren of offices.

For a couple of weeks we had to open the door to our space, yell "cease fire - civilians" before venturing out to do our business. Not that they were shooting AT us, but we didn't have hearing protection. And every single plate and ceiling divider needed to be shot into the concrete every 24 or 48 inches - something crazy like that (Chicago fire codes).

17. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Hilti is the maker and " Ram Set " is the gun . The nail is shot with a primer cap ..

Those cents were used as washer, to keep the nail from going through the object ....

paddyman98 likes this.
  18. SuperDave

....and the "sabot" - the plastic finning - is what seals the barrel of the gun around the nail for the shot. You can buy them with or without that washer.

I sell a ton of that stuff here in Philly (hardware is what I *do*), with so many walls concrete or masonry.

19. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

You guys beat me to it but I recognize those hilti gun loads. Have done some construction where those were used by the framers I'm a interior/ fine woodwork guy so I was doing the trim after they were done. Was converting basement levels into finished space the zincolns cheaper than buying washers to keep them from blowing thru

paddyman98 likes this.
  20. UnCommonCents

UnCommonCents Variety Collector

A Sabot is a projectile. Sometimes rifled for use in a smooth bore shotgun. Usually just a chunk of lead though either jammed in the end of a shell or by itself for use with a muzzle loader. In this case the projectile is a nail. The red fins are more of a wad so the power of the blank doesn't just blow around the nail. The primer cap doesn't shoot anything other than a spark to ignite the powder in the blank. And I agree the cents were definitely used as a washer. I've also seen them used as shims

21. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

A lot of the old nail guns were a lot harder to adjust pressure than the more modern ones. And new ones are a lot harder to put a nail thru your foot hand or someone's head too

Draft saved Draft deleted