Penny color tone

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by 707, Dec 9, 2020.

1. 707

707 Active Member

Found a penny today that looks to be in decent shape. It happens to be my birth year so I picked it up and it’s got some pretty cool toning to it. Not sure if it’s damage or what?? Finger prints??

FD907039-216E-40B4-A529-5CB8FD838A19.jpeg 134182FA-54CE-4985-98F4-F3B67349687F.jpeg 7D0700B0-B751-4017-B5B4-053571CD0679.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Wow. That's some awesome toning . Welcome to the Coin Talk.

707 likes this.
  4. 707

707 Active Member

Thanks. I have never really found a coin with any real type of what I thought to be toning. This one stood out as it was a little older, and was in great shape and the color was striking.
    I don’t know anything about that type of stuff

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  5. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

I mean it could be from oils from the skin too. It's not that old . I've got coppers older without toning , right ?

707 likes this.
  6. 707

707 Active Member

I know nothing about toning on coins. But generally my first thought is that someone hit it with a blow torch. But from what I gather from the inter webs that it’s a thing some collectors look for?? It’s not old but it’s not new and I think k it’s in great shape. I myself have much older pennys that are brite copper and no other color to note

7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Heat might or might not have been a factor. I dunno about the blowtorch theory. It's got some pretty pinks and a hint of iridescence on it. Not likely to be worth much more than one cent, numismatically speaking, but still a fun find.

AmishJedi likes this.
  8. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I'm sorry to say.. But in my opinion those colors are created by urine. I've made this statement before with people asking the same question.

Here in NYC bums pee in building entrances, in the street, anywhere they can get away with it. The urine lands on discarded pennies and when it dries it leaves those colors.. It is chemical environmental damage.

How do I know this? I have been a maintenance worker for many years and have encountered many pennies such as yours!

Coins from circulation are nasty! :yack:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
  9. lordmarcovan

While that’s certainly one possible explanation, I don’t think it’s the only one.

I have on my desk a 2020-D cent with similar-looking toning, which I happen to know was heat-induced, and I’m fairly confident the coin was not exposed to urine in its short life so far.

So while your “wee-wee theory” is possible, I don’t think it’s conclusive.

(Coins can get involved in nasty situations, though- on that much we agree.)

paddyman98 likes this.
  10. paddyman98

I understand. But those purplish tones are evidence of dried Urea. IMO of course ;)

Can we see your Cent?

11. lordmarcovan

I’m afraid this shot of it, included in a small group lot, is pretty useless for comparison purposes. (Bottom right, by the Buffalo nickels.)

It has more pinks than the coin in the OP, more evenly distributed. (But that doesn’t entirely show in the picture.) And less iridescence. So it’s not identical. Merely similar. It was part of a forum member’s toning experiment, I believe.

BBDE8B3E-E6DD-4B7A-99AB-E9DDE520ADFD.jpeg

paddyman98 likes this.
  12. paddyman98

Something else I can say are pennies that are placed into car cup holders.. Spilled soda has acids and chemicals that create those tones. I've seem them many times.

13. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Most likely caused by just being handled by people.
    The sweat from your hands also contains Urea and other chemical that are reactive to metals. That is why some folks wear gloves while handling coins and other precious artifacts.

Draft saved Draft deleted