Pennies with floating roofs and no FG

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Murillo, May 16, 2021.

1. Murillo

Murillo Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,

Been a long time since I have been on this site, it's been a long time since I've looked at coins as well. I decided to search through some old pennies this weekend and was hoping someone could tell me if these pennies I found are called floating roof's? And also if the FG is missing on one of these coins? I know the coins are not in good shape but hoping you can tell from pictures if any of these are floating roof's and no FG.

I would appreciate your thoughts, thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

All look like they are "floating roof", but they are too blurry and not close enough to tell about the "no FG". I think you should give #4 a decent burial.

Murillo likes this.
  4. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

As you probably already know, floating roof and missing designers initials are due to over polishing the dies to hopefully keep them in service. As the dies are continuously polished, they begin loosing details in the devices. NAV IMHO, or: no added value in my humble opinion.

Murillo, 1stSgt22 and paddyman98 like this.
  5. SamCoin

SamCoin Active Member

Floating roofs and no FG are just minor die abrasion events. Part of the normal aging process of a die to have finer details removed with use, and should not carry any premium in my opinion.

Murillo likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted