Pennies no rim

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Jimm, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Jimm

Jimm Active Member

Hi all there r two pennies, 2018 and 2019 that has no rim. It's just smooth all around. What causes that _20191213_014924.JPG _20191213_014955.JPG _20191213_015228.JPG _20191213_014924.JPG _20191213_015228.JPG IMG_20191213_015141.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Striking issue. The rims are about the highest relief points of the coin and due to the very slight curvature of the die faces they are also the last areas that come into contact with the dies, they are the last areas to fill. So if the press is running a bit too fast, or the dies are spaced just slightly further apart than they should be the result will be weak or no rims. Rims can be weak from a fast running press because it takes a certain amount of time for the metal to cold flow into the devices and if the press is running too fast the pressure in not applied to the planchet long enough for that flow to occur completely.

Kevin Mader likes this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

5. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

I agree with our fellow enthusiasts.

6. Jimm

Jimm Active Member

Thanks guys what about this. 1968 penny. Is there a DD on date and liberty.

Attached Files:

7. Jimm

Jimm Active Member

Tnks ya learn smtng new everyday. Hope the Grammer police don't see this.... 1968 penny do you see a DD on the date and on liberty I used a Jeweler's loupe and then a pic the pic showed me more cuz you can zoom in on it

Attached Files:

8. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

This looks like a normal cent Jimm. For this date (obverse design), the relief/fields look deeper than used starting in 1969. Dates for this obverse design appear sharp and defined, so perhaps the 'look' has you looking too hard on this one.

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It's a normal cent.

10. Jimm

Jimm Active Member

I hear you Kevin apparently I'm looking to close

Kevin Mader likes this.
  11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Definitely normal

Draft saved Draft deleted