Pennies in a jar, please help.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 20, 2012.

1. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

There's only one dealer I wouldn't mind paying 5 cents per because of the nice better dates I've found. Generally I pay 4 cents each.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GreatWalrus

GreatWalrus WHEREZ MAH BUKKIT

By the way, it does kind of look like something is in the middle of the jar, with the orange color at the top. Could just be an illusion, or a piece of orange paper rolled up, or a full cylinder which occupies 60% of the jar's volume.

4. HCSC

HCSC Numismatist

I usually pay 3 cents for common dates. If you have any semi key or key dates let me know and I will take them off your hand. Of course I will pay more than 3 cents. I need to expand my Lincoln Wheat collection even though I have over 15,122 of them as of today. You can never have to many Wheats! :smile

5. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

You need to go on ebay then. ALL wheat cents are unsearched!

6. lucyray

lucyray Ariel -n- Tango

One question, and probably too late for you... is the auction benefitting any particular cause? Or is it just a sale? If it's a benefit, well, it would be okay to pay a little more, don't you think? If it's just a disposition, well, you've got all those answers above..

:)

7. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

I had to guess the radius of the jar but you said it was about 4.5 inches tall, so I guess the radius would be about 1.5 inches, making the diameter of the jar at about 3 inches, that means without calculating the empty space in-between the pennies stacked inside the jar, you could theoretically fit about 443 pennies in a jar of that size by my calculations of the cubic size of a penny, so minus a few with the empty space taken up in how they are stacked (which you can tell by the picture), my guess is, you're gonna get anywhere between 400-450 pennies out of that jar max.

Math is not hard. Pi is your friend.

Penny has a .375 inch radius and it's 0.061023622 inches thick. Jar is around 4.5 inches tall and likely has a 1.5 inch radius (guessing since we don't know exact size). Do the math, boom, you get 442.854207395 unless my math is off tonight.

8. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

Pennies in a jar update.

Way too tired tonight to get into details.

Won the jar for 20 dollars. Someone glued the lid on, was not easy to remove.

Seems to be that these are "circulation finds". The older you get, the lower the grade, the newer you get, the higher the grade.

Amongst the cents I found 8 injuns, 2 are worth about $2 each...and 5 steel cents.

Here is a whole heard of au/uncs from the 40s and 50s that I am going to put in tubes.

[​IMG]

Tomorrow after I get some sleep I will sort out the old dates, but nothing looked too exciting.

9. Fall Guy

Fall Guy Active Member

10. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I saw this thread the other day. You know we're all dying to hear how many were in the jar! I'll say it now my official guess was less than 400.

11. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

Hear, hear! Who cares if you got a high dollar key. We wanna know how many the jar held.:D

12. james m. wolfe

james m. wolfe New Member

crazy-clown.gif we waiting!!! :devil:

13. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

The suspense is killing me!

14. kydedhed

kydedhed Member

Drumroll please

15. james m. wolfe

james m. wolfe New Member

are you still counting??? coin_value_range.jpg

16. Yacorie

Yacorie Junior Member

Last night I went to a local auction and there was a small jar of pennies in the auction. I took a look and figured that these were all old copper pennies so the melt value was a little over 2cents each. I figured there couldn't be more than 400 pennies in that jar and 400 x 2 cents is 8 dollars. I was all set to go up to $10 for the jar of pennies. However, someone there with money to waste overpaid for a jar of copper pennies. They actually paid $20 for a jar of pennies, I couldn't believe it. I'm sick of these auctions....

17. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Those dastardly rich people!

Do you have any idea what an auction is?

If you couldn't win the auction, it's because the item was actually worth more than you thought it was.

You should not attend an auction until you have money to waste.

18. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Don't you just hate those rich hoarders!

[​IMG]

19. Detecto92

Well after it was all said and done.

I pulled 170 1909-1939 wheat cents out. Put 10 in a small bag and will be selling them for $1 a bag at the flea market.
    There were 230 1940 to 1958 cents that I but in a plastic box.
    I pulled about 75 Au's/Unc's from the 40s and 50s and put them into clear plastic tubes.

All in all, there were 489 of them. However the jar was not clear full. What I thought was putty was actually an orange sack a newspaper comes in.

I paid $20 for the jar. I paid 53 cents for all 17 bags.

If I sell all 17 bags (and I should). I will make $16.47 (there is no commission at the flea market)

So that leaves me 319 wheat cents left.

So $20-16.87= $3.13 is what I will pay for 319 cents if all 17 bags sell.

So if all goes to plan, I will get 319 cents for under face value! (.009 cents each).
    :hail:

20. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

That's great! I hope you do sell them, as if someone is willing to buy a bag of 10 wheaties for a dollar, that's ok. As long as you don't clean them and sell them as uncleaned coins, or something like that.

My question, though.....

You figure you will be getting the others at face value, essentially. Ok. But to do so you have to buy bags, put some in those bags, get your self over to a flea market, and hang around all day to sell those. I bet you're not walking there, and I bet you will probably eat and drink something there, as well as spend a number of hours there. So....since you're in 'business', are you planning on factoring in your time, the extra miscellaneous costs (like buying food/drink you normally wouldn't if you weren't going to be away from home), transportation costs (car and gas), and the amount your time would be worth if you were actually out making any money?

Or is this just a "hobby"?

21. Detecto92

Lol...Gonna be selling a lot more their than coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted