Pencil marks on Peace dollars

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Joe Campbell, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Joe Campbell

Joe Campbell Well-Known Member

Just bought a couple dozen common Peace and Morgan’s. A few of the Peace dollars have the number 110 penciled onto the front or back. One of these are high dollar coins, but still would like to remove the writing if possible. Any thoughts on how best to remove the pencil writing?

I know an eraser will take it off but also really make it look bad. I assume acetone won’t dissolve the graphite.

Thanks for the help.

Inspector43 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Penna_Boy

Penna_Boy Just a nobody from the past

I would think if you used an eraser, or any item you have to rub, you can forget any value. Sorry about that and I do hope someone knows a way to rid the marks.

4. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Maybe Verdi-Care would work, but I don't know for certain!

5. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

I do not know for sure, but this is an interesting topic. I am leaving a comment so I can see what someone who really knows has to say.

Mike Davis likes this.
  6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Water will float the graphite off, and it isn't pure graphite, it also contains clay as a binder...Google is your friend.

7. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Could be distilled water. I want to see how this turns out too.

GeorgeM and Kentucky like this.
  8. Heavymetal

Heavymetal Well-Known Member

Try the commons first. H2O be a start

9. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Spit worked :D but I pushed so hard with the pencil to make a test mark that the surface of my coin was scratched :facepalm: under the pencil mark! :oops:

Kentucky likes this.
  10. Joe Campbell

I should have taken some before and after pics.....

Hot soap and water worked pretty well, particularly on the circulated coins. Pencil came off easily mostly with just a soak. The UNC/MS were harder to get right. Didn’t want to work the finger too hard and affect lusted. Plus as mentioned about on GEMish coins I think the pencil itself caused very minor breaks in luster.

overall went pretty good.

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

If you used your finger AT ALL - you most definitely affected the luster. And you're right, the pencil itself would also cause breaks in the luster.

The only way to not affect/break the luster is by soaking the coins, no contact to the surface of the coins with anything.

12. Joe Campbell

Agree. It was funny that the circ coins the pencil really just lifted right off. The UNC were much harder. Into them for melt so wasn’t too worried, more interested just to see how it goes. One of them was in the gem range was disappointing to see the writing on it.

13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Practice on the junk value ones first.

SorenCoins and Diogenes Diaz like this.
  14. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

That's because the micro-surface of a circulated coin is different than a BU. The BU has more micro-crevices.

15. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Great topic thank's Monitor

16. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I, too, would like to see how it goes. A few coins my Dad gave me had some pencil marks. He never was into collecting for profit, though he had a few slabbed coins.

17. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Why would anyone want to put a pencil mark on a coin anyway?

18. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

The same reason they write numbers on bills, to count them.

Tomabe01, GeorgeM and harley bissell like this.
  19. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Thank you Collecting Nut but wouldn't there be a better way such as a tab, sticker, or even a washable marker?

20. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Use an artists kneaded eraser. It is soft and moldable like play dough and you just press it down, no rubbing, to remove pencil marks.
    kneaded eraser.jpg

21. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

You came through again Mountain Man thank you.

Diogenes Diaz likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted