Pedigrees?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Santinidollar, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Danjohnson

Danjohnson Well-Known Member

Saddle Ridge Hoard is definitely something I've been interested in after reading the story. The mystery alone is something I'd enjoy owning a piece of, that it's recorded on gold coins is a bonus.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

I have a number of pedigreed tokens in my collection. Being a historian at heart, it's neat to me to have something in my hands that a great numismatist owned. I have a couple of plate coins and tokens as well, which is also cool - cracking open the book and thinking, "yeah, I own that one."

But one of the biggest reasons that a pedigree is helpful is the important collections often had the best of the best and this carries value with it. It makes it easier to sell if you decide to part with it, and you are likely getting a great piece.

Paul M. likes this.
  4. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I don't own any plate coins, but I feel the same way about my couple of PCGS Coinfacts coins.

jester3681 likes this.
  5. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

I think pedigrees from notable collectors add something - Col. Green, EPN, etc. - even if the two I have are EPN's discards, that means something to me.

I'm less in favor of the hoard, especially those that were hype-hoards such as Saddle River. You can spin that story as "somebody buried some coins, when they were found they were artfully conserved and generously graded and sold at inflated prices in a holder with an ugly 'special' label"

jester3681 likes this.
  6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Pedigrees are one of those things that are personal in nature, kind of like the cool factor that some collectibles (not just coins) have. And because of that any given pedigree may have varying degrees of meaning to one collector and none at all to another. But when you think about it coins themselves are that way too. Any given coin may ring all kinds of bells for one collector and none at all for another.

Over the years I bought a few coins because of their pedigree, and there have even been several instances where other collectors bought coins primarily because I owned them. And while I admittedly found that quite flattering, it also gave me a somewhat, maybe not unique but unusual understanding of the issue.

mark_h, Eaglefawn and Santinidollar like this.
  7. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Im sure I could do some research on it, but why are Redfield dollars so expensive?? I mean the ones I find on ebay are ridiculous.

8. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

One pedigree I would go for is Eliasberg. If i could find one i can afford lol

9. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Unless they've been reslabbed by PCGS or NGC, many are seriously overgraded. Even then, sellers seem to want a premium for the word "Redfield" on the label. Frankly, I think the original Hallmark holders look like something designed by Mike Mezak of HSN.

10. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

It's an endorsement, like CAC, Doug. You should be slabbing these coins with "I'm Doug, and I approve of this coin" stickers on them before you sell. :)

Eaglefawn and Santinidollar like this.
  11. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

I'd consider the Saddle Ridge hoard assuming I could afford one of them.

I have a stacks 57th street hoard but bought it for the coin, not the holder.

12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

They were all sold eddie before CAC even existed :)

eddiespin likes this.
  13. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

I own 3 coins from the Norweb collection. One of them with records of Albert Holden having bought it from a dealer in 1911.
    Normally provenance does not mean much to me, but I have to say these are nice to have.

Paul M. likes this.
  14. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Most pedigrees don't interest me at all...people like Col. Green or Eliasburg that simply amassed great collections based on the fact that they could simply outspend anyone else just don't do it for me.

On the other hand, I own examples from the collections of several actual numismatists that I do consider the pedigree on. Coins from the collections of people like Al Overton, Jules Reiver, Russ Logan, Stewart Whitman, and Alan Lovejoy who actually gave back to the hobby rather than just throwing money at it are some of my most treasured pieces.

Eaglefawn and Eduard like this.
  15. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

What you say make a lot of sense. I fully agree with that.
    I am a Bust Dime collector and admire Russ Logan's CBD collection. Unfortunately I do not own any coins from his collection.

16. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Pedigree, signature, early strike, etc. mean nothing to me....just mindless clutter on an already crowded label. Maybe my own label"ABC" Approved by Chascat...will this work? I think certain historical National Treasures and Museum pieces should have pedigrees, but not 99.999% of the coins out there, especially the Ego signatures and added labels. CAC, MAC, is another one I can do without...Why should I think someone else should decide if a coin is graded properly? If I didn,t think it was, than I,d re-submit it. I already paid for a professional opinion, so isn,t another opinion a bit redundant? Some people just like to throw their money away and show off to their friends. A properly graded coin will show itself off, isn.t that the whole idea?

17. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

I have a couple CWT's that I am proud to own. This one has been posted before but fits the subject of this thread.

[​IMG]

eddiespin, Eaglefawn, Paul M. and 2 others like this.
  18. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Similar to the guys I listed above Fuld is definitely a pedigree I would value on store tokens.

Paul M. likes this.
  19. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

How about a Santini label?

Nah don't think so.:confused:

20. Eaglefawn

Eaglefawn Active Member

I can't help but think the Merchandizers are behind all of this to bump up sales and act like it's ok to charge peeps more for a coin.

A pedigree buy (tho very important to some...my ignorance shows here) is up to the purchasers taste, and I think we all agree with that.

On the otherhand, I rather view all of this label business like it's a business alright...monkey business me thinks.

Early Release, First Strike etc which we all acknowledge is hooey and when I buy a 1995 Silver Proof JFK 1/2 with the Kennedy signature on it how silly is that...the poor man was murdered in 1963...what's the point of the signature on that label?

My concern is that new collectors to the hobby really may get taken in by the schmooze and that's a shame. Yes, while it is incumbent on the buyer to be aware...this hobby is so vast no one but no one can know everything which is why I also believe these chats are so very important to benefit especially new peeps to the hobby.

We want to encourage Young people into the hobby...and while it's said get the book before the coin...there's just so much one can do/read fast enough.

We don't want new persons to become so overwhelmed they can't play in the sandbox due to reading paralysis.

You're all so great, and willing to share your knowledge I hope everyone in the hobby will find you!! I'm certainly glad I've found you.

eddiespin likes this.
  21. DysfunctionalVeteran

DysfunctionalVeteran Oddly enough

Can pedigrees be bootlegged after the fact? Say I slab a coin tomorrow and pay to have the name of a known but not so famous hoard put on it will the TPG do it? I can see someone making some decent coin defrauding people.

Draft saved Draft deleted