Peculiar 1928 SA Gold Sovereign! Any ideas?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Kazmer81, Jan 21, 2011.

1. darrenc

darrenc Junior Member

There was a coin similar to this (full sovereign) in the Quartermaster Collection dated 1917P (Pert Mintmark). It is a middle eastern fake probably made in Lebanon.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kazmer81

Kazmer81 Member

Thank you for the info, I will look into it. I still have yet to match up the stamps with an origin and I am still working on it. At first I was disappointed that it is a fake (i prefer the term replica, lol...), but this fake has actually generated a bit of interest and I have been offered twice the value of a real half sovereign. Should I take this offer? This offer made me think it might be worth more in the fact that it's obscure and very high quality gold. The person who tested it for me said it is at least 21k or maybe 22k like the actual sovereign and he is the one who wants to buy it. What do you think? I don't really need the money and to me it's a found treasure and has some sentiment to it. I was thirteen when I found it in the river.

4. moneyer12

moneyer12 i just love UK coins.......

sell it mate and make yourself a few bucks, i personally wouldn't buy it for twice the value of a real sovereign. the coin is a fake and that is the end of it.

5. kimbaqutypie

kimbaqutypie New Member

George V Gold Soveriegn with ARABIC??

HI I have two George V Gold sovereigns with Arabic writing on the reverse side from 1927 minted in SA.

6. kimbaqutypie

kimbaqutypie New Member

I have two George V gold sovereigns with what I believe is arabic writing on them. My grandmother gave them to me and she used to work at the King Faisal? spelling hospital in Saudi. They are 1927 and have a SA mark on them. I have never had them looked at and I am curious about them too.

7. Kazmer81

Kazmer81 Member

Thanks for the reply

Do your coins have the same stamp on the neck of Kin George? I figure they are as people have said they are, however, it was still a very interesting find, especially where I found it. I was also 13 years old when I found it and it was a treasure to me. It's real gold, I had it tested and it's about 22k. I don't have plans on selling it, it's worth more to me than its weight in gold. Thanks again for the replies!

Draft saved Draft deleted