Peaking interest

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by FoundinTN, Dec 5, 2019.

1. FoundinTN

FoundinTN Big AM

This was posted by Nicole Kidd in the Coin Opp group,there are tons of comments trying to figure this thing out ,I find this super interesting and would love to hear opinions from you guys on this one. Again,this isnt mine,I am just sharing.

Attached Files:

Jimski likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

I don't know but I like it! Whatever it is, it looks legit to me.

4. Bmmartin

Bmmartin Member

It looks like some kind of adhesive on the reverse around 5 o'clock?

5. FoundinTN

FoundinTN Big AM

I think its dmg tbh,i just dont know

6. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

I wish the photos were a bit larger and lighter,
    but based on what I can see, it's simply damaged.

longshot and Kentucky like this.
  7. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Looks to me like something oddly-shaped slammed it on the reverse.

Edit: also, "Coin Opp group"?

8. FoundinTN

FoundinTN Big AM

It's a Facebook coin group

9. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

It has piqued my curiosity. It looks like a scrap of the planchet got into the feeder and was smashed onto the coin. An edge photo would be nice.

10. FoundinTN

FoundinTN Big AM

I learned something today,cheers.

No more pics to provide yet unfortunately.

11. MatrixMP-9

MatrixMP-9 Well-Known Member

Did someone make that? would the devices right on the edge of that separate piece be that clear and crisp considering the edge of that possible planchett was right there. Im trying to visualize the dies coming together with that 2nd piece of metal there and how "high" it looks....how would that have effected the surface of the legit penny that sits on the edge. Seems like the dies wouldnt have been able to make such a nice memorial on the far right side with that scrap being there. Id question it.

Jimski and Bmmartin like this.
  12. MatrixMP-9

I am no expert all all period. Im probably wrong but it seems almost impossible for the die to be that crisp on those devices at the edge considering how high off the real planchet thats scrap metal sits. Seems like the die would almost have had to warp or bend to make the impression on the planchet below.

Untitled.png

Jimski likes this.
  13. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

That cent did not leave the US Mint looking like that.

Kentucky, Chuck_A, mynamespat and 4 others like this.
  14. Bmmartin

Bmmartin Member

I'm curious if anyone in the FB group asked for a photograph from the side? It almost seems like a steampunk project where someone took a penny, cut out part of it, and then used a hot gun to stick it to one that was compressed on one side.

The "C" in "America" doesn't look like it is warped in anyway - When I first saw this I thought lamination, but the more I look at it, the more it looks like the work of a Dremel. There seems to be (awl?) punches on each side with a definite bulge around his chest (the opposite side possibly covered up to hide the entry punch around the second "s" in "States"). All this is just speculation, but it looks like a poor man's Frankenstein coin.

I agree with Mountain Man and think the easiest solution would be to ask for side photographs. Isn't it a cardinal rule, when checking for counterfeits, to check the edge and rims? I guess, like checking to see if the stops match up on an edge pattern or to see if the edge was added before/after the coin was struck (older coins)?

Either way, if the owner refuses, I think it would be to safe to say that there is a strong inference that the "error" is fake. It's not like asking for a macro shot of a small detail where the owner may not have the proper equipment; this is just a simple request for a quick side shot.

Chuck_A likes this.
  15. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It looks like someone spend a lot of time trying to create an error. To me it appears that another cent has been cut and created to fit over a cent.

16. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

You folks are seeing something I'm not ("attached piece"?) -- to me, it looks like the right side is smashed down, and that dark border is just the shadow from the undamaged part of the coin. Check the shadow from the rim on the left side of the image; it's being cast in the same direction.

Edit: the next round of pictures conclusively show that I was wrong. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  17. MatrixMP-9

Its a fake . Im sticking with that. However it was done who knows but its elaborate garbage....like Alfa Romeo.

18. FoundinTN

FoundinTN Big AM

I asked for more pics,waiting.

MatrixMP-9 likes this.
  19. MatrixMP-9

Im curious now too! I will be shocked if they send anything conclusively different TN.

20. FoundinTN

FoundinTN Big AM

Here ya go
    @Fred Weinberg

Attached Files:

21. MatrixMP-9

fun to think about ! Im sticking with fake. 2 pennies. One normal the other was "cut" apart and pressed into the other. No way a die could have struck that uneven surface without any distortion.

Chuck_A and Spark1951 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted