Peace Through Coinage

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Oxford Punter, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Oxford Punter

Oxford Punter Active Member

I found this medal/token in my miscellaneous acquisitions "stuff." (Apologies for the photos. It is actually more of a silver mirror finish.) A bit of digging has given me hints as to it's story, although information is sparse at best.

Some nuggets:
    Pobjoy Mint
    Kenneth Bressett
    27mm
    Nickel (silver)

Any trivia expert input would be quite lovely! Can I sell it and finally retire? :) Rarity? Value? Many thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Based on its size (27mm) I would consider this a token of some sort rather than a medal. If this had been struck in silver, I'm sure that Pobjoy Mint would have noted that as one of the design elements. As a rule, most medals have mintages of less than 1,000 or so. If this is a token, there could be thousands of them in circulation.

You are certainly welcome to retire at any time that you choose. That is your right. However, I wouldn't buy a new car with the proceeds from the sale of this token as a down payment.

Chris

Oxford Punter likes this.
  4. Oxford Punter

Thanks Chris.
    The term "medal" was mentioned in one small little reference from the Pobjoy Mint that I scratched up. That is the only reason I included the term. But, it certainly seems more token-ish to me. <shrug>
    The term "Nickel Silver" is a bit more obscure version of "German Silver." I think the usual formulation is 60% copper, 20% nickel and 20% zinc. No elemental silver. I should have clarified when I used it. Sorry.
    I'm still completely at a loss as to what this is though. It's very odd not to be able to immediately pull up a plethora info on nearly anything nowadays.

5. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

I believe that Ken Bressett used these as a handout piece at the 1995 ANA convention. Many countries were toying with a 27mm coin as a prominent part of their circulating lineup. Canadian loonies and SBA's were among them. The move for a new dollar coin in 2000 was already under way.

If I recall correctly, this was also around the year that other private mints started putting out fantasy pieces for the new dollar concept.

6. Oxford Punter

Hmmm... interesting. It certainly fits with the tiny bit I dug up. Do you think Ken would pick up the phone if I called him to ask about this? :)

7. V. Kurt Bellman

I would be outright shocked if not. Ken is a wonderful guy.

8. Oxford Punter

Alas, I have not had the pleasure of chatting with him.

9. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I STILL want to backhand your avatar across the room LOL

10. Oxford Punter

Muhuhahaha... After being overly responsible for most of my life, it just had to come out somehow.

Santinidollar likes this.
  11. Oxford Punter

Well, if anyone is on friendly speaking terms with Mr. Ken Bressett, please ask him about the token for me. :)

12. V. Kurt Bellman

I MIGHT run into Ken this weekend or next. The PAN show is big, and so is Baltimore Whitman, and I'm planning on both.

13. Oxford Punter

That would be fortuitous and quite kind of you. I'm guessing that many here understand the niggling annoyance of not being able to fully identify something -- even a trivial token.

Tell him that Dave says, "Howdy." :)

Thank you sir!

14. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

15. Oxford Punter

Thank you Christian!

Draft saved Draft deleted