Peace Dollars

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Shrake, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Shrake

Shrake New Member

Hello All,
    So, I am new to this coin world. I have been working on many of the book/folders and collecting dates and mints from many of the more common coins. I have been thinking about finding a specific type of coin to focus on. I like the peace dollars. I like the size, design, era... So, I was wondering if anyone has any advice, pointers, or warnings about starting this collection. Thanks.

- Justin

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

I like peace dollars! One warning though is to be aware of altered 1928 dollars, some people take a 28 with a mintmark and scrub that mark off and try to pass it off as an authentic '28 plain.

Here's a pic of my peace dollar:
    [​IMG]

Enjoy your collecting!

~Cannyn

4. tdogchristy90

tdogchristy90 Dieu et les Dames

5. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

I too love the Peace Dollar. It's not a difficult set to assemble and you can find some great pieces for little over melt. I spent about 8 years putting my Peace set together with the best matching coins I could find. It was a blast. Best of luck. Oh, I would also recommend picking up a copy of A Guide Book to Peace Dollars from Whitman books. It'll help you pick and choose the pieces that are right for you.
    Guy

6. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

A must read before you start collecting Peace Dollars:

Official-Red-Book-A-Guide-Book-Peace-Dollars.jpg

7. mralexanderb

mralexanderb Coin Collector

It would be wise to study up a bit before you jump right in. The Red Book posted above it a great place to start.

8. 2schnauzers2luv

2schnauzers2luv Junior Member

I put a complete set together a couple of years ago. Had a lot of fun doing it but did get somewhat frustrated at times. Had some trouble finding a 1921, 1923-S, 1925-S and 1928-S that I liked. Seems that they have weak strikes from what I soon learned. Great set to put together though. I love mine.

9. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

As someone who had to learn from mistakes, I would suggest you look at lots of Peace dollars if you're planning on buying raw ones. A book would really be helpful too, you can also do a search here or on the internet.

There are also a few different ways to collect. Toned Peace dollars can carry a huge premium. Also some Peace dollars although are in high grade lacks eye appeal while ones in lower grades can look really dramatic.

10. Shrake

Shrake New Member

Fantastic. Thank you for all of the advice. Very helpful.

11. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

For the most part, Peace Dollars are relatively common even in the mint state grades. If you collect this series in the circulated grades you will end up with very little numismatic value. I suggest that you collect the series in the uncirculated grades and buy higher graded coins for the common dates, at least MS64. IMO, the most important aspect for this series is luster. Look for coins with outstanding luster and you will build a great set of coins. Start by finding a dynamite 1922 or 1923 to set the standard for your set.

Draft saved Draft deleted