Peace Dollars worth having graded?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by NM Rookie, Aug 21, 2020.

1. NM Rookie

NM Rookie New Member

Hi gang, long time lurker first time poster. My Grandparents left me their coin collection when they passed away a few years back. I know a LITTLE about coins “just enough to be dangerous” so not much. Anyways I’d been looking at the Peace dollars they left me and wondering if I should send any off to PCGS/NGC? I know they’re in kind of rough shape. In my uneducated opinion I think some of they may have been cleaned? But I’d leave that to you experts. So I’m hoping to post the pictures and get your thoughts? Do I need a new thread for each one? Or just post them one at at time? Thanks in advance, and pl be patient ;) as the name implies I’m just a rookie

George McClellan and Kentucky like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NM Rookie

NM Rookie New Member

4. NM Rookie

NM Rookie New Member

5. NM Rookie

NM Rookie New Member

6. NM Rookie

NM Rookie New Member

7. NM Rookie

NM Rookie New Member

8. NM Rookie

NM Rookie New Member

9. NM Rookie

NM Rookie New Member

10. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

What a wonderful gift left to you by your grandparents. They all appear to be 1922 Philly mint coins and that is a very common date. As far as having them graded in hopes of adding value, I wouldn’t do it. The first dollar has a damaged rim which will render it ungradable. Of the others, the bottom dollar appears to be your best..... I am not a fan of grading coins valued less than about $250.00. These aren’t that highly valued. I am however a huge fan of slabbing coins for family posterity. If you want to keep them and pass them to future generations, you would be doing them a huge favor having them slabbed..... Welcome to the fun!

11. NM Rookie

NM Rookie New Member

12. NM Rookie

NM Rookie New Member

13. NM Rookie

NM Rookie New Member

14. NM Rookie

NM Rookie New Member

15. NM Rookie

NM Rookie New Member

16. NM Rookie

NM Rookie New Member

17. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

It is best to thread each one or two at the most (number each of the two). Here is what should happen.
    Comments will be offered as to why or why not to submit.
    You learn by what is said about your coins.
    Result: After a number of coins offered for comments, you begin to understand whether you should or shouldn't submit to TPG's.
    Osmosis is a wonderful thing. :)
    Welcome to the CT Train and enjoy the ride.

18. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

All of the coins are too worn for grading. Also, many MS candidates are not for grading unless special circumstances warrant such as a high relief 1922.

19. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

It doesn't pay to have coins graded unless they are worth a lot of money.
    Or, if you need the authentication/certification.
    Most of them are in the $20-$25 range.
    The 1927-S has a lower mintage and is worth a little more, but the condition is not as good. You could get an album and put them in there.
    The only high relief is 1921. There are only 10-12 high relief 1922 in existence (proof) and 1 business strike. Here is an excerpt from USA Coin Book:

One extremely rare and valuable variety is the 1922 High Relief Peace Dollar. Most 1922 Peace dollars are Normal Relief. So their features are not as sharp and they don't stand out as much. In the previous year - All 1921 Peace Dollars were High Relief. The US Mint found that this original high relief design produced a higher quality and more beautiful coin but it caused more wear and tear on the dies that produce the coins - which had to be replaced often. So early in 1922: The US Mint decided it was more practical to produce dies that resulted in a coin design with lower relief and lower quality for general circulation.

The US Mint originally produced 35401 of these 1922 High Relief coins (mostly non-proof business strikes intended for general circulation) before going to a Normal relief design. Nearly all of these high relief coins were melted down a short time later by the US Mint. Only about 10 to 12 High Relief 1922 Proof (Matte Proof) Peace Dollars are estimated to exist. One stray non-proof business strike coin also exists!

20. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

Welcome to CT @NM Rookie and thank you for post your photos Full Image. Makes viewing and enlarging them so much easier.
    As @Robert Ransom stated, it would probably be better to select what you consider to be the best few and post just those for opinions. As Robert mentioned, you can learn a lot from members comments. Good luck.

21. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Welcome to CT! I agree with those who have commented on grading. Nice start to an album, though, if you’re so inclined.

Draft saved Draft deleted