Featured Peace Dollars (Is strike an element of grade?)

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lehigh96, Dec 30, 2008.

1. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I was always under the impression that this was a discussion forum, not an "etched in stone" forum. Paul was trying to provoke exactly this type of discussion because he, just like me, feels that there has to be a better way than the status quo, and to merely dismiss ideas with "that's just the way it is" is unacceptable to us... well, at least to me, I don't speak for Paul.

I offered an idea that I think is original and if you'd care to contribute as to why it won't work, then please do. My hope was that someone might take my idea and build on it in order to make it a stronger idea rather than to dismiss it or to try to strike it down.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Mike -

It is not that I am dismissing anything, if you guys want to continue talking about it be my guest. But I have expressed my view point on the issue several times now and my view point is not going to change. So why continue to say the same thing over and over ? I see no purpose in it.

Lehigh -

I have explained numerous times in this thread, and may others, WHY, coins are graded according to date/mint instead of grading an entire series by the same standard. I will repeat it one more time - it is because the things that determine how a coin will look are not equal. Those things are - strike pressure and die spacing.

And someone mentioned trying to grade a coin based on the detail of the hub - well that doesn't work either because the hub has nothing to do with it since not all dies are hubbed equally. Different dies, all made from the same hub, have different quality.

I mean c'mon guys - they have a master hub, working hubs, master dies & working dies. But the only thing that can possibly be used to judge the grade of a coin is the end result - the coin itself. Everything else is variable. And if you are going to judge the quality of something then the variables that affect that quality have to be removed.

It is the quality of the die combined with striking pressure and die spacing that determines the quality of the coin. All of the great numismatic minds in the world know this - and every single one of them agrees with it.

But if you guys wish to believe that all of the experts are wrong and that you are right - then be my guest and believe it. There is nothing I can do to change your minds, nor do I even want to change your minds.

People believe what they want to believe and any effort to change that is an effort in futility.

4. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I think that the purpose of it is to teach newbies and maybe even the hardheaded. <eg> I think that the conversation is ALWAYS worth having because the participants are constantly changing around here and the knowledge of everyone is constantly evolving. It is this staid kind of thinking that has deterred some of the greatest thoughts in history. Man cannot fly, it's just that simple, but man has used to technology to overcome this, I was hoping that coin grading would evolve into the 21st century and beyond.

It was also me that mentioned grading a coin based on a hub and let me explain it a little bit better before you decide. I am talking about a different way of thinking, not the current or traditional way. Outside of the box. I started a new thread for everyone to see if they care to know what I am proposing. I will try to explain it as best I can, and would welcome everyone's input and opinions.

5. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Nobody has guessed the grades correctly yet. Does anyone want to venture a guess before I reveal the answers and end the contest. Hint: Someone got 4 out of 5 but did not venture a guess on the photos.

6. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

:p

1 - 65
    2 - 65
    3 - 66 your pic
    4 - 65
    5 - 67 your pic

???

not my guess on the grades though :( so its not my entry :eek:

7. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

True to a degree Doug , but there are plenty people with open minds willing to learn and change their views , which you have made me do many times , but on this a well struck coin should earn some extra points at least .
    rzage:cool:

8. OxJaw

OxJaw Senior Member

I would guess:

66-your picture
    67-your picture

9. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Nobody ever got the answers right even though some were close. The answers are revealed above in RED.

10. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

1. MS65
    2. MS66
    3. MS66 Your Picture
    4. MS66
    5. MS67

11. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

65;65;66;67. Your photos are the second 24 and the 22-D

12. CBJesse

CBJesse Capped Bust Fanactic

I think your photos are the 22-d and 24.

13. CBJesse

CBJesse Capped Bust Fanactic

Sorry the third 24.

14. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

You guys are about 3 or 4 years too late in guessing. This thread was originally posted in 2008. Answers were already revealed in 2009.

15. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Had to go back through the thread to find the answers. All the same, this is a good article, and I appreciate you posting it up, again. Thanks!

Edit::eek: Meant to put this on the blog page :eek:

16. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Had to go back through the thread to find the answers. All the same, this is a good article, and I appreciate you posting it up, again. Thanks!

17. Nevadabell

Nevadabell A picture of me.

Actually, the top one is probably a 63.

18. cm0s

cm0s Executive Order 6102

Never really liked Peace Dollars, although i have a few myself, goes with collecting I suppose.

19. Atarian

Atarian Well-Known Member

Nice write-up - thanks a lot. I never really liked the design but as I mellow they are growing on me. As far as leniency on the strike, it seems the same is true for the 1972 type 2 Eisenhower dollar.

20. Coin Monger

Coin Monger New Member

I didn't realize Peace Dollars were ever so weakly struck. I'll have to go back and take a second look at mine.

21. loki6793

loki6793 New Member

i wouldn't think it matters if you can still see it.

Draft saved Draft deleted