Peace dollar GSA?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Paul M., Jun 22, 2015.

1. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I just saw a Peace dollar on eBay packaged in what looks like cellophane with a GSA medallion. I know about the GSA Morgans, but what's the story behind these? And do TPGs certify them with a GSA pedigree?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

Link? I'm intrigued now

4. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

5. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

They did sell Peace dollars in the GSA sales .

6. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yeah and they carry quite a premium too. 71_71.gif

7. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Even the '22s 23s etc , ?

8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

yes

9. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I never really understood why there is a premium on GSA dollars in the original holder.
    Crack them out and you wouldn't know the difference.
    So the extra $ is only for the holder.

I'm one of those who won't pay extra for a special holder or slab.

swamp yankee likes this.
  10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'll bet you cut the tags off your Beanie Babies, too. ;)

Coinchemistry 2012 and imrich like this.
  11. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Some people like the originality of the GSA holder. It is much the same as the 1882, 1883, 1884cc Morgans. The GSA ones sell slightly higher than the cracked out PCGS and NGC equivalents, particularly the NGC " ribbon" graded NGC examples of those dates.

Maintain likes this.
  12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I've seen some 78-CC's, 80-CC's & 85-CC's in GSA slabs, but I don't recall ever seeing any 81-CC's. Anyone else?

Chris

13. jonny oneal

jonny oneal Member

i ponied up for a 1881 CC Morgan in a GSA holder after being assured it would grade at MS60 or higher. I was disappointed in the coin I received until I spent time comparing it to graded GSA ccs. I realized it graded as high as an NGC ms64 or 65, which made the buy a bargain. i bought it because i like the history and story of the holders and thus the coins. and is not the history behind a coin part of its value? if 1881s are scarce thaat mght explain what i paid for it.

14. jonny oneal

jonny oneal Member

see next answer. if you want one ungraded, carson city northern nevada co. has them.

15. cpm9ball

Thanks, but I'm not in need of one now.

FWIW, most GSA CC's are over-graded (even) by the top TPG's. If a dealer assured me that one would grade at least MS60, he's not saying much. If it didn't grade at least MS64, I wouldn't be interested.

Chris

swamp yankee and Morgandude11 like this.
  16. Ed23

Ed23 Active Member

Right after the BIG GSA sale ended and dealers and collectors began to receive these huge plastic boxes holding their coins the collecting public initially rejected these holders. This was the first holder that came out in which a coin was sealed inside. Frankly people didn't like the amount of room they required when packing for a show or even mailing to a buyer. You could attend any coin show during this period and find the trash cans filled with all of this "unnecessary packaging" as the coins were cracked out and retained and kept for sale/show and the rest discarded. Thus the few dealers and collectors who resisted the urge to discard the OGP resulted in they receiving a premium after the cases began to be "part of the coin's heritage". As a result of fewer cases surviving we now see the supply v. demand principle kick the value up. It would be similar today to a person receiving a PCGS graded dollar which they broke out of the slab and then tried to offer to others in raw condition as a "PCGS MS64" coin without proof; PCGS slabbed coins carry a premium only when the coin remains sealed in its PCGS slab.

Don't think of it as "paying extra for a special holder or slab", think of it as certifying that this coin was a part of American history.

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

They better exist. I only bought one piece out of the Mixed CC category back in 72 and the coin I got was an 81 CC.

Coinchemistry 2012 and Kirkuleez like this.
  18. cpm9ball

At least you were lucky enough to get in on the action. I was busy playing catch-up after getting out of the Army not long before.

Chris:(

Coinchemistry 2012 likes this.
  19. Morgandude11

They do exist, but I have never seen one. I have an 85cc in a GSA, with the NGC ribbon graded as a 65. Never saw an 81cc or any of the 90cc in a GSA myself.

20. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I have a couple of 81-CC GSAs left from my grandfathers collection. He bought them early on I'm sure. They are out there, but not very common.

21. Morgandude11

I find that almost all CC Morgans are slightly over-graded--for some reason, the TPGs tend to be kind to all 13 dates. Maybe it is the image of exclusivity that CC dates seem to have, relative to most other Morgans. Oddly enough, the real sleepers in the Morgan series are the late 1884-1889 S mint dates.

swamp yankee and Kirkuleez like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted