"Peace and Friendship" - ?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Stevearino, May 2, 2020.

1. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

I'm hoping you folks see this post as historical, not political.

Just read the latest Coin Chat. The Andrew Jackson Presidential Medal has the "Peace and Friendship" reverse. Seriously? No reference, instead, of the Trail of Tears? I would have thought there could be a reference to something positive Jackson accomplished, not a rewriting of genocidal history.

So, CTers: anyone else have this reaction? Or am I totally off-base?

Steve

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Stevearino

Oops. I meant "Coin Update," not "Coin Chat." Dang, I was thinking of where I was going, not where I had been. As we say in the MN, ND, WI, etc., "uff da."

Steve

4. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Coincidentally, that is also why the Mint chose the Peace and Friendship reverse for the Jackson medal.

In all seriousness, I think the idea was to simply re-strike the original Indian Peace Medals and have a uniform series, not to make historical/political statements.

I think the Mint is done making statements like those for a while.

Two Dogs and kaparthy like this.
  5. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

Way back in the late Middle Ages when I was in high school, libertarians liked Andrew Jackson for killing the monster bank and for enacting the Specie Circular. By the 1980s, Pres. Jackson was not faring so well. The Liberty Lobby was issuing silver rounds in his honor, but they are unabashedly racist. And really, if you know your Disney, there was a scene in which our hero Davy Crockett played by Fess Parker faced down Old Hickory.

Jeffersonian democrats were shocked by the Jacksonian rabble. Jackson was the first president not from Massachusetts or Virginia and it signaled a change in American culture. Then, there were the scandals, leading off with his "wife" not actually being divorced from her first husband. But, also, in a story right out of the Old Testament, the Secretary of War John Henry Eaton former senator from Tennessee sent a ship off to the end of the world so that he could marry the purser's wife. (See The Petticoat Affair and the Eaton Scandal.)

Jackson's contemptuous statement "Mr. Marshall has made his decision. Let him enforce it." is apocryphal. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worcester_v._Georgia but the fact remains that Jackson is held responsible for the Trail of Tears. Whatever good President Jackson did was interred with his bones.

Last edited: May 2, 2020
    markr, capthank and Stevearino like this.
  6. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

What are we talking about here?

I have no idea what "coin update" you are referring to.

7. Stevearino

8. ford67

ford67 *Archaic*

Stevearino likes this.
  9. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

The Alabama-Coushatta Indian tribe Indians located around Livingston TX
    still will neither use nor accept 20$ bills when being paid or paying for items.
    (For me personally, Not a Fav. POTUS)
    J.T.

Jeffjay and Stevearino like this.
  10. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I can't believe folks are still holding Jackson accountable. The greed of the American people are the ones that should have been accountable. They wanted the Native Americans out of the way so they could get the gold and Silver and use the land for farming and ranching. Jackson didn't do anything worse than Clinton, Biden, Johnson, and I could go on. Even our super clean Carter. And that's just the Democratic Party. Nixon is another, the Kennedy clan that supported the Nazis during WWII. We wouldn't have anybody on our coins if everyone was eliminated that did something immoral.

ford67 likes this.
  11. Stevearino

@Jim Dale, I think you missed the point. Without trying to engage you with respect to your very political post, my point is not that Jackson was fallible and other presidents were/are not. My point was simply the irony of having a "Peace and Friendship" image on Jackson's medal, clearly aimed at Native Americans because of the hatchet and peace pipe, when his administration was responsible for atrocities against the Native American people.

I did not advocate, e.g., that Jackson should not have a silver presidential medal coined. Nor that the reverse should be blank; I advocated that his positive accomplishments be on the reverse. But "peace and friendship" relative to Native Americans? That is worthy of 1984 or Animal Farm.

Steve

Jeffjay and J.T. Parker like this.
  12. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Not off base. I grew up in Oklahoma, where the Trail of Tears ended. Some of my closest lifelong friends are descendants of the Native Americans who made that forced march. Needless to say, Andrew Jackson is not on our short list of favorite presidents.

DonnaML and Stevearino like this.
  13. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Can someone please for the love of god post a link to what we're talking about?

@Stevearino posted an email address, which I assume is for some weekly newsletter?

But without some context or link to the medal or proposed changes he's talking about, all we're really discussing is our feelings about some president who's been dead for 200 years.

Steve says he doesn't want this to get political, but posts *absolutely zero context or illuminating information to prevent it from becoming polical*.

This thread was a failure from post 1.

14. tmoneyeagles

https://catalog.usmint.gov/andrew-j...4461.1588466176-1723652327.1585526759&start=1

15. Stevearino

Sorry I confused you, @physics-fan3.14 . Let me see what I can do to ease your anxiety. Give me a few minutes.

Steve

16. Stevearino

Mike Zielinksi started Coin Update. It is now owned by Whitman Publishing. I get their feed each week. Today's post, which I have deleted, announced the silver Jackson Presidential Medal produced by the U. S. Mint. I've tried to cut and paste an image of the medal but my computer skills are worse than my 8 year old grandson's. So, @physics-fan3.14, if you still think this thread was a failure from my first post, forget it. For anyone who is still interested in seeing the medal, especially the reverse, I encourage you to go the U.S. Mint website: www.govmint.com

Steve

17. tmoneyeagles

18. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Correct, and the title or name of that newsletter is - Coin Update. It's not a website in other words, so there is no link to it. But I assume you can use that email address he posted to sign up for it.

19. Stevearino

Thanks, @tmoneyeagles. Every once-in-a-while I learn something new about my MacBook. But, oh for a learning curve for me.

And to you, too, John.

Steve

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Possibly they used the design because that WAS the reverse used on the actual Jackson Indian Peace medals

Actual Jackson Peace medal
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stevearino likes this.
  21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

That is NOT the US Mint website, that is a commercial site. The US mint site is www.usmint.gov

Kentucky likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted