PCS Statehood Coin Collection with Stamps

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by greenmamba, Jan 21, 2011.

1. greenmamba

greenmamba New Member

Hello, I lost my job last March. Before that I had joined this Statehood coin collection club. Every month I pay $17.95 and PCS of Connecticut sends me another panel to add to Volume 1 of 2 that they initially sent to me. I have almost filled up the first volume and I still have the original box that I store it in in between shipments. I have attached pictures.
    Recently, while participating in another action site, I saw where one of these volumes, the first one only sold for $42. In the time that I have been paying for mine and to date, I have paid close to $500. I really hate to stop getting the complete set and decide not to continue to get the panels. However, I am really needing to looking at where I spend the money that I get. I am wondering if anyone can help me with this? I initially started the collection thinking that I could give it to my daughter after it was complete and that she could hand on to it, in the hopes that one day she would be able to at least double what I have put into it. I have become apprehensive and now question whether I should continue forking over the $17.95 ever month in order to complete this volume and also start volume 2. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I feel for you greenmamba. You bought these thinking that they would gain in value down the road. That's the hype that packagers ,such as this one, mention to get folks to buy their wares. Unfortunately that rarely happens. The State Quarters were issued in such large quantities that they will never be considered rare. Collecting coins for investment purposes is one dang tough thing to do. One should only collect for collecting sake.

4. 1066merlin

1066merlin ANA#R3157534

That truly is a tough spot greenmamba,
    if I were in your shoes I think I would cancel it if I could. Your going to spend a small fortune on these by the time the series is complete. If you want to complete the set it can still be done at far less cost even if you start over from the beginning. Sure you wont have the flashy pages but they look just as nice in a dansco or other types of readily available albums. As Green18 said, "One should only collect for collecting sake". That is something you will here on this fourm all the time and the best advice you will ever find.

Of course this is just my opinion, others may have a different take on it.

Anyway, very nice to meet you and welcome!

5. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

Dang man. You are going to have 900 bux in that thing by the time you are done.
    I would also hate to have half a collection too, but you are really taking it in the shorts.

The stamps are worth face value if you use them... Less if you sell them to a dealer/collector.
    The face value of the coins is 25 bux, and as presented in this collection, they aren't worth much more.

This is a collection that should only be purchased if you love it. It's a losing investment.

Sorry for being a bearer of bad news.

My dad bought overpriced mail order stamps in the last few years of his life.
    I hate it because he could have had 3x the quality and size collection if he steered clear of the company he was dealing with.

6. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

Maybe cancel the set, then later on, when you are able, buy the rest of the set that you are missing 2nd hand at a fraction of the cost.

7. 1066merlin

1066merlin ANA#R3157534

That isn't a bad idea at all greenmamba. :yes: You will probably be able to find them on ebay, coin shows and the like. I'm sure there are others who will cancel as well and just unload whatever they have.

If you REALLY like the series just get them raw for now.

8. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

cancel. take the experience and learn from it, because all the extra $ spent for the panels they are in could have bought a lot more. They're all still in circulation, and since you have little $ to spend, think of all the fun you'll have roll searching to complete the set! Added bonus is that you can always spend what you don't keep. Good MO for a guy w/ a tight budget. (Myself included!)

9. greenmamba

greenmamba New Member

Thank you every one for the advice and I will say that it is hard to hear. I am just so aggravated that I fell for it and I wished I would have looked into this before I almost completed the first set. You know they do not make the statehood quarters anymore. I know that in my lifetime they will never be valuable except for the mistakes that were printed. It just really burns my ????well you know what.

Draft saved Draft deleted