PCS Stamps & Coins

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Coinfan, Feb 7, 2009.

1. GILAMY

GILAMY Junior Member

platinum and gold-highlighted

I received a brochure from pcs offering platinum and gold-highlighted U.S. presidential coins, to be shipped one per month for $19.95 each, plus $2.95 shipping, plus a handsome hardwood display case at no extra cost. This sounds too good to be true. Is it?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Defiant7

Defiant7 Enjoy the Insanity

They are most likely plated or accented in gold and platinum. The amount of gold or platinum is usually less then a few dollars. Unless you are buying them for show or presentation purposes, they are highly overpriced and would actually be considered damaged coins.

4. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

I'd run from them.
    And Run fast.

Localyokel likes this.
  5. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

Yes, it's too good to be true.

The coins will be coated either partially or fully in real gold and platinum, but the question is, "How much?" These metals can be layered onto coins in films that are only a few atoms thick. You can coat the surface of a coin with only a couple of cents worth of gold. That, combined with the fact that you've just defaced a coin, and therefore destroyed any value it might have had, makes this a terrible deal.

I get gold-plated coins all the time when I buy collections. I have them stacking up in a drawer, and will either sell them as a large lot someday, or more likely, just spend them.

6. TikleMeDead

TikleMeDead New Member

Pardon me coming through here bumping a thread from nearly 7 months ago, but I was looking at different sites with ''PCS Coins & Stamps Scam'' on Google.

The coins and stamps PCS Stamps & Coins sell are total scams. They polish coins which is a big no-no and they glue back together two pieces of the same stamp. If you take your coins to a place where coins are bought, you'll find out that they are now worth up to 75%-85% less than what you bought them for.

That's what I found out after I bought a four-coin set then took it to a coin dealer because it was sitting around the house collecting dust.

They'll do anything to get loads of $$$.

7. mkwelbornjr

mkwelbornjr Junior Member

PCS is a reputable company. They develop collectibles and presentations using coins. They have superb customer service that will exceed most other companies. I like exonumia and have been collecting postal covers and medals etc from them for years. I do not collect the coins that are simply repackaged but rather the developed products. They are hardly a scam...you dont purchase their items as an investment at all and can return for a full refund and postage both ways if you don't like an item. Their products are sold as presentations...not for the same person who buys PCGS graded coins.

8. K9coper

K9coper Junior Member

It was like reading an ad on an airline, way over priced. The only thing it was missing was comparing his price to an ad that was overpriced more than his! BUYER BEWARE!!!!!

9. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

Truthfully, buyers today need to really dig in and research just about everything they buy. Not only is this particular business way overpriced, you see this kind of thing everywhere ! Books are retailed for $38 that I can get at Costco for $16. Appliances, clothes, electronics, Everything ! I don't understand the logic of it at all, but know that I won't buy anything from those who overprice their wares.

Gary

10. Duke Kavanaugh

Gary,
    I don't think that this is a issue for just today's times. I'm sure you could overpay many many years back. But yes it is smart to shop around.

11. mkwelbornjr

PCS has great postal cover collections and panel coin sets with nice art and presentation...its exclusive...if you like that then the price is right since you can't get it anywhere else. I have collected their first day covers since 1989...never had a problem with them.

12. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Besides presentation pieces, its also a firm like Littleton than has ben bashed on the boards before. They are classic retail, you would be shocked how little many of the things you buy daily cost wholesale. Everyone needs to give these big firms a break, they sell retail you are used to more wholesale pricing. I know of many colelctors who start in this hobby from these firms. Yes they understand they overpaid, but the advertising of these firms do bring in new collectors to join all of us.

13. mkwelbornjr

Very true about Littleton and the others. Plus, IMO, its important that these companies, like PCS, manufacture all of their products packaging and presentation in the USA using American labor...not to mention the more than 1000 people that work for MBI/PCS. Many on here buy their coins from other hobbyists who do not have the profit needs of a large company. Its like comparing a trade show to Wal-Mart. It would be a different story if these companies were selling fakes as something real...but that is not the case.

With PCS, a coin panel honoring great leaders does not compete with serious collector grade coins.

14. Ltrain

Ltrain New Member

You sound like a broken record and like someone who has an ownership stake in the company, mkwelbornjr.

15. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

+1

16. medoraman

Well he might but I don't. Collectors have been bashing big numismatic companies for years, like this one. They have huge overhead because they reach out to non collectors, benefiting our hobby in the long run I would argue.

I don't know about other reasons he cited, but I still stand by defense of the large coin firms who do extensive advertising. They sell legitimate coins, maybe not at a price you would like, but collectible coins nonetheless. People should get more outraged at Ebay and coin doctors than these firms.

17. mkwelbornjr

..or you can go to the MBI corporate website and read about the ownership and history before passing judgment. Wish I did own a part of it...but I just get tired off all the bashing. And the fact that certain coin collectors seem to know what everyone else wants. I like the small vigilante coin dealer who is out talking down about the large corps. Its no different than the small local drug store vs Wal-Mart.

18. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

I fail to see how selling people (non collectors) coins at 4 times their actual value benefits our hobby. I see people every day who are disappointed because they paid their good money for well packaged junk. It's definitely not good for the hobby. These people get mad and bad mouth the hobby actually... but what do I know?

19. medoraman

I see those same people Dutchman, but I also know of serious collectors today who first learned of coin collecting through such ads. Yes, people overpay in our minds, but education comes at a price and it does get people interested in coins they didn't know were available. That is all I am saying.

20. mkwelbornjr

My interest lies in privately minted items or designed presentations so the value of a real coin is immaterial. Uninformed people enter into transactions all the time and look to blame someone else. Why should the company suffer...especially when they offer a full return policy with no questions asked?

21. Duke Kavanaugh

Ewe...and I thought I was open minded about other peoples collections but I have to draw the line at that one and can't say "good for you there"

Draft saved Draft deleted