PCI holders

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by furham, Dec 9, 2018.

1. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Yes, toning from PCI holders is very well known, and very well documented. The holders are known to tone coins in that circular pattern.

The most obvious examples are the ones that are labelled "100% White" and have that ring-toning.

furham likes this.
  4. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

Thanks Jason. How did I miss this all these years? I guess because I'm not really into toned coins.

5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I have a lot of the early PCI slabs. I actually sent them in to be graded. It's been interesting to watch them over the years. Some have not changed at all. Others took on pretty toning and others turned ugly. You just never know.

6. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

There are some really spectacularly toned ASEs from PCI holders. I have a friend with half a dozen or so of them with the beautiful ringed toning - all look very similar, and all are said to be 100% white. He sent all of them but one in to PCGS in the PCI holders so that they don't come back as AT.

7. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

I've had quite a few that have the nicer rim toning. Toning can however also limit a coin. I tried to get one into a PCGS holder and although it made the grade it lost the CAM designation.
    I will point out it was in a sig series purple PCI holder, signed by RT. It was definately a CAM, unlike most other PCI where every coin is cam.
    Note I say "limited" the coin because I had a buyer at $5K if I could get it in the PCGS holder with the CAM, as it was $200.

Draft saved Draft deleted