PCGS won't fit into NGC box anymore?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Localyokel, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Localyokel

Localyokel Junior Member

Just added a 1926 s PEACE upgrade to my collection. It's a nice PCGS 64 CAC. Problem is that it won't fit into my NGC slab box. What the heck? Has PCGS re-engineered their slabs so they won't fit?

asheland likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Yup, PCGS are too thick to fit NGC and NGC are too tall to fit PCGS. Both think they're being clever to the exclusion of the other. However, necessity is the mother of invention . . .

I have converted to NGC boxes, and do the following to ensure both fit (learned from someone else a couple of years ago - unfortunately, I've forgotten who) . . . I install the slabs "diagonally" so that, for example, the left edge of the slab slides into the first slot, and the right edge slides into the second, and so on.

You can only fit 19 coins in a 20 coin box that way but, in my opinion, that's better than the alternative.

4. Localyokel

Localyokel Junior Member

Great! I have three NGC boxes and hate to trash them just so someone can exploit a buck out of me. Thanks so much..

Stevearino likes this.
  5. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Yes. This happened a couple of years ago.

6. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

It wasn't so they won't fit, it was to make them water resistant but not fitting was one of the results.

7. Localyokel

Localyokel Junior Member

So the old slabs are not air tight? Seems odd. Sort of like what Apple just got called on slowing down their phones to "help with aging batteries".

8. baseball21

No slab is air tight. Some are more porous than others but none are a true airtight space station style sealed.

Dave Waterstraat likes this.
  9. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

Acrylic is hygroscopic and therefore not water proof.

10. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Stevearino and Bambam8778 like this.
  11. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Or.... You can just purchase a brand new PCGS box! :woot: Problem solved!

12. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I never buy pcgs boxes. They give them to me every submission. I had so many I was giving them away

Stevearino and baseball21 like this.
  13. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

14. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I have not. I house my pcgs and ngc coins in the box. Works great.

15. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

I hope this is germane to the issue and not a hijacking. I went to the website referenced by @CamaroDMD. BTW, thanks for that; info on the improvements of the Intercept box was interesting.

Here’s my question: does anyone know if a slab in an Intercept sleeve will fit into a page of a Lighthouse nine-slab holder meant for a binder?

Steve

16. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Got rid of the plastic boxes awhile back...Now use double row black boxes at a forth the price...more convenient...problem solved. They stack better too...and take less space in safe...hold more coins...way better.

17. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

True, acrylic is classed as a hygroscopic resin. However, it is used for aquariums, so the rate of water passage is pretty slow. I've seen pictures of slabs with water inside because they had been in floods. They were immersed for only a day or two. I've assumed that most of the water came through imperfections in the seam rather than through intact plastic.

However they get through though, gases and liquids can penetrate slabs, something all collectors should keep in mind.

Cal

18. baseball21

It more than likely did come through the seems for the flood ones. Only the new PCGS one really has seems that attempts to address that problem. I doubt that any of them the water would get through the actual plastic before the seems

19. SportsDen

SportsDen Member

I too get PCGS boxes with every submission, but I just got back 4 graded coins from NGC with no box, which surprised me (this was my first time submitting to NGC). Is this normal for them? At what point would they return the coins in a box?

20. baseball21

NGC doesn't give boxes for free, you have to buy those. Even 30 coin submissions will come back in the big cardboard box.

21. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Ngc never sends you a free box you gotta buy them

Draft saved Draft deleted