PCGS vs. NGC - anyone send the exact same coin to both?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by iPen, Dec 10, 2014.

1. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

That'd be interesting to see. Please post - maybe take a pic/scan of the article's pages directly and post here. I don't think that would be copyright infringement, right?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

On a similar note to this topic, how has the phenomenon of grade inflation played out since 1972? I hear it's softened in general. I wonder what the future holds.

And maybe all of the TPG's will even switch to a different "simpler" numeric system (e.g. out of 100 instead of 70) to further differentiate grades as more and more coins get graded.

4. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Continually upgrading coins in your collection is not what I consider flipping. Flippers usually have little interest in the hobby from an historical or scientific standpoint, and are essentially online and/or vestpocket dealers. Flippers seldom know much about numismatics, unless it is something that can earn them a buck (e.g., they may know checkypicker guide varieties and nuances of a particular coin that may be undergraded in its current slab). Most couldn't tell you how a coin is minted, when milled coinage became the norm, when steam presses were introduced, etc.

They are in "the hobby" to make money by constantly flipping inventory. They are not selling a coin here or there to upgrade a coin or build a higher grade collection.

It's not a black or white definition though, some people are hybrids. To each his/her own.

Coinchemistry 2012 and Insider like this.
  5. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Some not asked for advice THAT I NEVER FOLLOW for my collection: It is best to hold out for the best condition you can buy - one that you never need to up-grade. That way, all the money you possibly "give away" or lose each time you up-grade does not enter the equation.

But collector up-grades do keep the coin market rolling along.

derkerlegand likes this.
  6. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

PCGS can be ridiculous on color bumping, but that coin looks much better than MS64 to these eyes. I think the first grade may have been a mechanical error.

Paul M. likes this.
  7. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

So you sent an NGC graded coin to PCGS and it received a higher grade twice and you say PCGS is slightly more conservative??

Coinchemistry 2012 likes this.
  8. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Twice out of probably 15 coins total that did not crossover at even the same grade. Perhaps I should have clarified.

bsowa1029 likes this.
  9. DANIEL HENRIQUEZ

DANIEL HENRIQUEZ Active Member

I would agree to an extent yet, I have found that bothgrade differently including grading without population reports taken in consideration. I have many Silver & non-Silver graded coins ALL at 70 and by both NGC & PCGS yet, it appears the NGC coins are valued "higher" even though they have more in population. Apparently supply & demand doesn't work at these companies or with the coin auction sites.

10. brg5658

TPG generated or endorsed price guides have nothing to do with reality when it comes time to actually sell a coin. It doesn't matter what NGC or PCGS think their coins' values are, it matters what they actually sell for.

11. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Agreed. They're biased marketing tools so by nature they are therefore unreliable especially in comparison to one another

jello likes this.
  12. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I thought NGC's pricing information on their site was bought/provided by Numismedia, not themselves. Is my thinking correct?

Generally, when I'm looking at coins on HA, and I use their pricing information in the listing, PCGS listed pricing is almost always the highest. I believe they over value their product a little bit.

13. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

You may be correct with certain types of coins, but my general experience in collecting certified higher grade, scarce date pre-1933 Gold coins is that NGC has a greater listed price, but their product can be acquired at a lesser price than PCGS.

My general experience is that consumers prefer to acquire the PCGS product at the NGC real value sales price, given all slab criteria listed equal.

I believe that regardless of the TPG, there are great grading disparities (e.g. 2 grades) for higher grade scarce date coins, and buyers often purchase the slab rather than the coin. When "upgrading", I've often offered the same coin (based on slab data) in both NGC and PCGS enclosures, stating a preference for the NGC product, and virtually all have selected the PCGS product.

A current real time example is that I have 2 associates wanting a PCGS MS63 graded 1907-D and 1911 $20 Double Eagle coin at C.D.N. "Grey Sheet" pricing. I suggested NGC certification, and both declined.

JMHO

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  14. brg5658

Yes, thus why I said "TPG generated or endorsed" in my original post.

Coinchemistry 2012 likes this.
  15. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Got it. Thanks for the clarification.

16. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Interesting! I don't collect pre-1933 gold. I do have a few examples for my type set, but I can't say with any certainty one way or the other, who's pricing is more accurate. I'm mainly interested in silver coinage and that is what I based my comments on, so I should have added that note.

I mainly use HA auction archive information as well as current listings for pricing guidance. In the last year, HA has added a "Heritage Value Index" in which I mostly use for my guidance.

As a general rule, I've also noticed PCGS coins selling for higher prices than NGC coins.

jello likes this.
  17. Camry

Camry New Member

Good Day,

Guys, maybe you can help me with this situation.

I have coin already graded in NGC with MS63. I want to send this coin to NGC once more with theirs cleaning(coin has places which should be cleaned).
    What would be better to get better grade(if it's possible):

1) Send coin in slab as it is through dealer to cleaning and re-grading.
    or

2) Brake slab and send only coin through dealer to cleaning and grading.

Thank You!

18. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood!

It depends on what coin it is and what it is that you think needs conservation. Can you post good photos of both sides?

Chris

19. Camry

Camry New Member

Thank You! Glad to be here :)

Not possible for now to take good photos, but I will try when will have a time.
    I only want to know, if there are difference how NGC will react if we send coin in slab as it is through dealer to cleaning and re-grading or will brake slab and send only coin to cleaning and grading.
    I heard that NGC don't give better grade if slab was sent to regrading.

Thanks!

20. BlackBeard_Thatch

BlackBeard_Thatch Captain of the Queen Anne's Revenge

Depends on the coin, as said post pictures please. I think if you sent the slab in for NCS I think most coins will suffer a little upgrade on the grade but only on certain coins suffering from certain things.

Draft saved Draft deleted