PCGS vs. NGC - anyone send the exact same coin to both?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by iPen, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

The color was there at 64 same as when it was given 67. A jump from 64 to 67 is a gigantic one that obliterates the idea of the 65 threshold of choice to gem. Getting a 64 to become a 65 from the same tpg is hard enough let alone 64 to a freakin 67

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Agreed. Same thing with Jefferson Nickels and 5FS / 6FS at NGC, only FS at PCGS. I think it's Kool-aid and extensive marketing dollars on PCGS' behalf.

4. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I'll bet that the coin was graded (net) 64 because under the color there are continuous hairlines (making it a 63 w/a plus for color = 64). The next time, the hairlines were ignored/overlooked. There was a time (around the millennium) when this coin MAY have been called AT...back when some TPGS would not grade toned coins over MS-64 because graders could not "see" their actual surface.

derkerlegand likes this.
  5. Insider

IMO, the collector "Geeks" forced the TPGS to add qualifiers such as "Full Torch."
    There is a "new" modern grading service that has increased qualifiers exponentially!
    Even before anyone actually cares :)

derkerlegand likes this.
  6. PICCYR

PICCYR New Member

I have a 1972 type 2 Ike in at PCGS right now that I cracked out of an NGC case graded at ms64. I felt it was worth trying to get the ms65 grade. It is

7. Vespadoctor1

Vespadoctor1 Member

You would have to send the same coin back and forth enough times to establish a bell curve. That would give you a probability to make an educated guess.

8. Vespadoctor1

Vespadoctor1 Member

I think someone could establish a superior grading service if they used laser scanning with subjective observation in their grading. Today, if the right computer person was interested, they could make this scanning work.

9. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

I 100% agree that NGC grades more consistently than PCGS, however, for the world series I collect, I have not seen NGC grading higher. I've crossed quite a few world coins from PCGS to NGC. Every one I've considered to be either correctly or slightly overgraded at PCGS, and every single one has crossed at one grade lower at NGC. The only time I've had world coins go up when crossing them to NGC is when they were from ANACS or ICCS.

10. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

They are the same coins. The two spots on the chin of Miss Morgan and the spot on the eagle's neck on the reverse are the easiest ways to verify that. If you want to be sure, go to PCGS and look both of them up at full size. I'm 100% sure they are the same coins.

11. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

I guess you missed the later statement I made --

Furthermore, the oft repeated mantra that "PCGS numerical grades are on average one point lower than NGC" is not true outside of the USA coin market. NGC has the favor of world coin collectors over PCGS, except for some smaller regional markets (e.g., Australians seem to prefer PCGS graded coins over NGC). In the end, the continuation of consistency trumps playing the game that PCGS plays. And, coin collectors will take a great coin regardless of its method of storage. It's the dealers and flippers who benefit from the perception of PCGS being somehow "better"...

PICCYR likes this.
  12. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Collectors would benefit, too, if other TPG's slabbed coins are cheaper as a result of PCGS's perception in the rather huge US coin grading market.

13. Insider

How did you get red and blue please?

derkerlegand likes this.
  14. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

Changing the colors? Like this :D

It's the fourth button from the top left, right next to the underline button.

Insider likes this.
  15. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

The "A with the underline" in the block at the top of the Reply box is the one you click for color choices.

16. Insider

Thank you! Why doesn't anyone take a post and add things between the lines ...or is that rude?

Example: This coin has hairlines but they get smaller at the edge.

Then someone copies my post and replies: This coin has hairlines TPG's call those marks scratches but they get smaller those are the hairlines at the edge.

derkerlegand likes this.
  17. Insider

This was really funny. I never saw the answer way down and moved on to SuperDaves post.

derkerlegand and iPen like this.
  18. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

I guess I'm different from most collectors... I generally like to have one of each type of coin, so as to keep things visually interesting. So, as a collector, I like to flip a relatively low grade coin and purchase a higher grade version (e.g. AU to MS60+).

Flipping is inherent to my strategy to maintain a high(er) grade collection. It doesn't always work out where I'd at least break even, and that's ok - I also find under-priced coins purely to flip outside of my collection, but I'm generally adding cash to fund the hobby. So for me, I use flipping as a means to a higher grade collection's end (as opposed to more money in the bank). Consequently, the perceived value of TPG slabs do matter to me as a means; starting with a raw, or an ICG, ANACS, or other TPG slabbed coin, and submitting it to NGC or PCGS may make a difference. If that means I'm not a true collector, that's ok, too.

Although it's nowhere near the same magnitude, it reminds me of the true story of a guy from Craigslist who traded his way from a red paperclip, to (eventually) an entire house - imagine doing the same with a penny you found on the ground!

MacDonald made his first trade, a red paper clip for a fish-shaped pen, on July 14, 2005. He reached his goal of trading up to a house with the fourteenth transaction, trading a movie role for a house. This is the list of all transactions MacDonald made:
    [​IMG]
    Kyle MacDonald's red paperclip

1. On July 14, 2005, he went to Vancouver and traded the paperclip for a fish-shaped pen.
    2. He then traded the pen the same day for a hand-sculpted doorknob from Seattle, Washington.
    3. On July 25, 2005, he travelled to Amherst, Massachusetts, with a friend to trade the doorknob for a Coleman camp stove (with fuel).
    4. On September 24, 2005, he went to California, and traded the camp stove for a Honda generator.
    5. On November 16, 2005, he made a second (and successful) attempt (after having the generator confiscated by the New York City Fire Department) in Maspeth, Queens, to trade the generator for an "instant party": an empty keg, an IOU for filling the keg with the beer of the holder's choice, and a neon Budweiser sign.
    6. On December 8, 2005, he traded the "instant party" to Quebec comedian and radio personality Michel Barrette for one Ski-doo snowmobile.
    7. Within a week of that, he traded the snowmobile for a two-person trip to Yahk, British Columbia, in February 2006.
    8. On or about January 7, 2006, he traded the second spot on the Yahk trip for a box truck.
    9. On or about February 22, 2006, he traded the cube van for a recording contract with Metalworks in Mississauga, Ontario.
    10. On or about April 11, 2006, he traded the recording contract to Jody Gnant for a year's rent in Phoenix, Arizona.
    11. On or about April 26, 2006, he traded the one year's rent in Phoenix, Arizona, for one afternoon with Alice Cooper.
    12. On or about May 26, 2006, he traded the one afternoon with Alice Cooper for a KISS motorized snow globe.
    13. On or about June 2, 2006, he traded the KISS motorized snow globe to Corbin Bernsen for a role in the film Donna on Demand.[3]
    14. On or about July 5, 2006, he traded the movie role for a two-story farmhouse in Kipling, Saskatchewan.
    [​IMG]
    Kyle MacDonald's house

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_red_paperclip

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  19. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Probably because reply comments are clearer and more effective when you quote the section and then respond rather than inserting your comments inside their comments. (Some of us also have problems seeing certain colors which can confuse things if you select the wrong colors.)

Insider likes this.
  20. Insider

Thanks, I will not do it :( But, then I need to keep going back up to read the original. Please, please will you important members humor me an say it is OK?

Hey, I just thought of something! Any members who cannot read my blue and yellow colored posting under "cabinet' friction can test for color blindness.

derkerlegand likes this.
  21. Insider

ALSO, just found a Coin World from 5/26/03 in my "Keepers File" that contains Part 1 (Part 2 not here) of the "Testing the Grading Services" trial when Coin World sent 15 coins to 8 grading services and published the results. It took 11 months to complete and NO SINGLE COIN was graded the same BY ALL 8. If there is any interest (4 of the services are "also-rans" or Out of Business), I can condense the results w/o any copyright infringement.

Paul M. and derkerlegand like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted