PCGS to NGC crossover. Any experience,and what was the result?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by gbroke, May 8, 2015.

1. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

No, they just received them. I assume it will be a couple of weeks or more.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

If anyone cares, here are the coins that were submitted. I did a total of 20. I was originally submitting 5 World coins, but that can wait.

The 40 and 47 Jeffersons are in PCGS slabs and going for crossover.
    The 20 SLQ, shield nickel, liberty nickel and the 64 D Kennedy were cracked out of PCGS details slabs.

The 53 Jefferson is the one I am most excited about.
    There are only 2 graded at NGC with 5 full steps. An MS65 (BV $3300) and an MS66 (BV $8200). I'll take any MS grade as long as it's FS!
    It's going to be close!
    [​IMG]

Gallery here
    [​IMG]

Bedford, rzage and Jwt708 like this.
  4. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

That nickel looks more full step than others I have seen graded FS. You have a nice collection of coins.

I cracked out a PCGS graded MS63 Morgan and sent it to NGC. The coin looked undergraded. It was. I was hoping for a MS65, but, they split the difference and gave it a MS64 grade.

gbroke likes this.
  5. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

It went up a grade..that's what I like to hear. I'm hoping for a star or 5 to be thrown into the mix too.

rzage likes this.
  6. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

That Lincoln still stands out even among the rest of your toners. It looks like a 66 to me so I would guess they call it a 65 assuming it grades.

7. coins776

coins776 no title

ngc gives about 1 point higher on ms coins, depending on the series. example: a pcgs jefferson nickel with an ms65 grade would probably get an ms66 grade from ngc. i always break them out of the slabs before sending them in.

8. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

This is what I'm hoping on the crossovers.

9. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Yeah, I won't even speculate on if it will grade.

10. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

I cracked an NGC PR64 1911 2.5 Ind. resubmitted the coin to PCGS and it came back PR65.

11. gronnh20

I need to put a disclaimer also on my statement. The morgan I sent in only increased in value in today's current market by $15. It was a coin I sent in on the free grading. If I had paid full fare the 1 point increase in grade would not have made it a financially sound decision. Meaning I would have lost money on the deal. I do have a higher graded morgan in my collection now.

12. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

The '41? They're balmy if they don't let that play in their plastic!

13. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Hate them back. Works for me. :)

Coinchemistry 2012 likes this.
  14. gronnh20

What happens to the census data at the grading companies when people like myself crack out of one holder and put in another holder of a different grading company? Should I send the label back to PCGS? Letting them know this coin is no longer in their holder and adjust accordingly? Maybe this was discussed and I missed it. Quite possible.

15. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Unless you do send them the label, they have no way of knowing that it was really broken out of its holder. Most people probably don't send in the labels, so, unless you really care about the integrity of the population reports (such that it is), I'd not worry about it.

16. Wheatmaster101

Wheatmaster101 U.S. Cent Collector

My favorite is the toned Morgan, simply beautiful.

17. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

no all it means is the coin is AU :D

rzage likes this.
  18. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

I hope I am wrong but I expect that a lot of them will come back as questionably toned or artificially toned.

19. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Greg , if your heart can't take the excitement , you can give the '53 nickel to me as it's my birth year . ;) From your pics it sure looks like FS to me , hope you get it Bro !!!!!

20. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

I'm still dying to know how this went.

21. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I'm curious if the 1941 cent comes back AT or no. It looks mighty questionable to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted