PCGS Submission Issues - How do the handle it?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jester3681, May 30, 2017.

1. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

I have to say, I wish NGC offered TrueView. I think I'd be done with PCGS... that said, I have two issues with a recent submission and I wonder if anyone else has had similar problems:

1) one of my tokens was listed incorrectly (listed as the 25 cent variant instead of the 5 cent).

2) one of my tokens had a John J. Ford, Jr. pedigree in its NGC holder (crossed over), but they said it may not in PCGS - up to the discretion of the grader.

Anyone have similar problems? What is done on their end? I called them this morning and was told I need to wait until I get the tokens in hand to verify the errors. I'm not thrilled about the possibility of shipping them back across the country and them being gone for another month or two.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

1. If they incorrectly stated on the holder that the token was a 25c, then they'll fix that for free, but you have to pay to ship it to them. They'll ship it back to you free and it usually only takes about a week or so to fix the mistake, sometimes less. They make these kind of mistakes frequently, so I always send those back when I have another order that needs to be mailed to them, anyway.

2. I've had this happen once. They said the crossover pedigree was at the discretion of the grader, but they obliged anyway, and ended up putting it on the holder. The key here is documentation. If I mailed them a coin and told them it was sold to me by Eliasberg's great grandson, they would question that, as they should. The more documentation, the better. If all you have to go on is the holder, that's the least documentation possible, and in theory, may not be enough. However, I think you'll be okay, as John J. Ford, Jr. NGC coins are quite extensive in number.

jester3681 likes this.
  4. Dough

Dough My brain is open

#1. Customer service can email a prepaid shipping label to correct a "mechanical error". You just can't add additional submissions to the shipment. I suggest emailing photos and detailing the problem before calling customer service.

#2. I hope this works out for you.

Good luck.

baseball21 and jester3681 like this.
  5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

On #2 if it was plated in one of his sales and you can provide which auction and lot number it was you have a much better chance of getting the pedigree crossed. As C-B-D said the more documentation you can provide the better. Years ago PCGS got burned with a lot of bad publicity when they got caught putting a pedigree on a coin just on someones say so that turned out to be wrong.

6. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Which coin was that? I'd be fascinated to read about it.

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I know I kept a file on it, I'll see if I can locate it.

It was a Hibernia Farthing from the "Norweb" collection.

Draft saved Draft deleted