PCGS shut down

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by C-B-D, Mar 24, 2020.

1. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Just hearing the news that California/L.A. County are tossing around the idea of a 2 to 3 month shutdown. I only have 10 coins there, but how badly could this impact them as a business? I have no clue what percentage of their business is done here in the U.S. But to shut it all down for that long could be extremely bad for them. Of course, it goes without saying that lives come before business. I fully believe that and understand it. It just makes me wonder about the survivability of so many companies right now. Additionally, NGC remains open. Imagine if they are able to remain so while PCGS can take no new orders for 2 to 3 months! What would the top 2 TPG'S look like? How would the coin market be impacted, if at all? These certainly are strange times.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

We are definitely in uncharted waters Now! With the news report that traces of the virus were found on the Diamond Princess. Ship.....from two weeks ago.
    Which to me is a big game changer......why....reinfections, awide spread of new out breaks from areas thought to be clean or safe.
    Also what does kill the bug out right.....no product that the virus can build amuinty to.

4. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

UV Light quite possibly!
    Thinking about selling my unopened bottle of 20 year old Pappy Van Winkle
    Date Code Bottled: 2007 & using the profit to buy Toilet Paper and installing UV lights inside the house and out.
    J.T.

Gallienus and Mainebill like this.
  5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Hmm. Seems like there'd be a difference between "traces we can still detect" and "traces that are still infectious". I understood that it's supposed to remain viable for only 72 hours on hard surfaces, but it wouldn't have disappeared in that time, just degraded.

6. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I made up my mind a couple of weeks ago that I won't be submitting any coins to any of the TPGs for the foreseeable future. I don't want my inventory tied up for however long it could take to resume grading plus the standard lead time on top of that.

johnmilton and Paddy54 like this.
  7. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

NGC and CAC are open at the moment. I just got CAC results a few minutes ago.
    20200324_171426.jpg

Mainebill and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I have to think that the numismatic market in general is going to, if not freeze, at least go into deep hypothermia before long.

9. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Aw, that's a shame...

10. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I got a pile to send I’ll just wait it out with pcgs until they open back up

C-B-D likes this.
  11. Mainebill

2 gold beans in one submission. Congratulations

C-B-D likes this.
  12. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

He always gold cacs my cheap coins, lol.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  13. Mainebill

Never got a gold bean even on cheap stuff I thought had a decent chance. It’s strictly green for me

14. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Very unlikely CA will stay completely shut down that long, it would destroy them financially basically.

If nothing else limited openings will be happening in the next couple weeks and there's going to be a point where everything just opens back up regardless. Destroying the economy hurting everyone, having everyone elses Dr appointments and surgeries is so far impacting more people even from a purely health perspective.

No change. The markets been set on the past and it's not like there's coin shows or anything else happening.

The only ones that are going to blame PCGS for the state closing during all this are people that are just going to be mad at everything all the time. Also more importantly if everything is still shutdown in three months there's going to be much bigger problems and it wouldn't just be Cali that did it. Cali has had many plague cases among others from the homeless problems and not shut down and in the last couple years.

Not trying to scare everyone but we need to keep level heads and this idea the world can shut down forever just isn't realistic

Mainebill likes this.
  15. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Exactly. Detection and infectious are different (yes generally always exceptions to these things) just as the different possible methods such as kissing/close contact/handshake/fist bump/touching something/touching a surface than washing hands etc all have different levels of infection rates and not everyone exposed will catch it

People would be terrified if they went around their house or their work or dr office and saw what trace of everything is there or their public transportation. Cruise ships and planes get more attention since they are international it does make sense to keep it out even if it's not really a big deal or a threat why add to it type thing

Nothing about traces found is indicating a game changer

Draft saved Draft deleted