PCGS says "cleaned"

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by johnmatt, Aug 21, 2017.

1. johnmatt

johnmatt Well-Known Member

Back from PCGS recently, they called it cleaned unc details. What do y'all see (or not see) that makes you agree (or disagree) with that grade? 1909 $5 cleaned.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

This area looks suspicious.. They can detect chemicals used that can be left as residue in areas like the incused areas on your coin.
    gold.JPG

imrich likes this.
  4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

still a great coin.

5. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Yes, it looks pretty darn good for a cleaned coin. The fields aren't very bouncy, that's all.

6. johnmatt

johnmatt Well-Known Member

They gave this one an ms63 grade. I think I see some similar residue on it also. Fwiw- a little history, they have both been in a capital plastics holder for 30+ yrs. 1915 $5 ms63.jpg

7. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

This coin was one of those that @jwitten would have loved to buy . . . it had loads of original rose / bronze color before being cleaned. You can still see lots of remnants of that toning in the protected areas of the coin. I cannot make out any cleaning lines in the photos, and suspect the coin was probably dipped or swabbed to remove the color in the easy-to-access areas.

jwitten likes this.
  8. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Beautiful coin. I would imagine it could eventually get into a straight holder

9. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

It is one of those coins that a dealer would buy as cleaned and sell as original and not look completely wrong (but completely unethical).

10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It's a nice looking coin. I would hold on to it and send it in again in the future.

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I certainly wouldn't say unc details as the coin has obvious wear. And while I can't see tell tale scratches from a harsh cleaning I can see signs of the surface having been rubbed (as Mike suggested above) in the fields in front of the neck, down by the date, and under and around RTY.

Also, the scratches on the rev should have prevented the coin from being cleanly graded even if the other issues didn't exist.

Yes they can, but only IF the coin is run through the sniffer. And they only run coins through the sniffer when they are submitted under the Secure Plus grading tier. If not submitted under that tier the sniffer is not used. Given that, I strongly doubt that was the reason for the no grade.

paddyman98 likes this.
  12. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

The may "sniff" other coins at their discretion.

13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yeah, they may. But even if they did, coin dip, assuming its use could be detected, is not one of the things that would cause a coin to receive a no grade. And if toning was removed, and it certainly appears it was in this case, then obviously a coin dip was used. Just not in the conventional way of immersing a coin in it, but instead by rubbing it across the surface with a swab or cloth of some kind.

Draft saved Draft deleted