PCGS SAMPLE SLABS

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by willard t frye, May 17, 2018.

1. Can someone please explain what PCGS sample slabs are. I have noticed that many of these go for higher prices than other slabs containing the same coin. I do not see any differences. Why such a price spread? The certification # on these coins are mostly (unreal) consecutive #'s (1234567890).

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

Sample slabs are given to customers for free, e.g. during events or shows. I received a free NGC sample slab during a show as a "thank you" when I submitted my coins there. They're cool, but I wouldn't buy one.

APX78 likes this.
  4. *coins

*coins Well-Known Member

They are just collectible. It has nothing to do with the coins inside - people collect the slabs. Usually, there are not many sample slabbed coins graded, so that sometimes makes them sell for premiums.

5. bsshog40

bsshog40 Senior Member

Here's one I have.

1964 PCGS Sample.jpg

6. ddddd

ddddd Member

With sample slabs, it's (mainly) not about the coin. In fact, the vast majority hold very common coins (since they were usually given out for free or made as examples, expensive coins were not used). Just like with coins, some generations of sample slabs are very rare (some only have 1-3 known examples) and that helps drive the price up (there is a group of passionate collectors that have a demand for the limited supply of certain slabs and thus you see some high prices for the truly rare ones).

7. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I have some that I get at shows. BM Sample 1-horz.jpg

bsshog40 likes this.
  8. APX78

APX78 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your post micbraun, I wondered how people got sample slabs.

Draft saved Draft deleted